Unable to set Google Chrome as Default Browser

zed

Reaction score
Going into Start -> Settings -> System -> Default Apps -> Web Browser -> Choose a default... and I choose Chrome. Nothing happens. Nothing happens when I select Firefox as my default browser, either. When I select IE though, the "choice" is accepted, but when I close the Settings window and reopen it, IE is no longer listed as the Default, though double clicking a random .html file will open IE as the default. Has Microsoft disabled the Windows 10 Settings that would ordinarily allow the user to select a non-Microsoft web browser as the Default?

Chrome was my default without a hitch until I uninstalled and then reinstalled it yesterday. Thanks. :)

Chrome version 50.0.2661.94
Firefox version 46.0.1
Windows 10

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Zed,

Microsoft has not prevented users from choosing a different browser as their Default.

The issue you are experiencing is actually more likely being caused by a third party security program blocking access to Defaults settings. Have you recently installed any such security software?

In the meanwhile, another user had the same experience as you recently and a work-around to their issue was to set the Default browser via the Control Panel:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Control Panel
  • Left-click on Set your default programs hyperlink
  • In the Left-pane of window that opens left-click on the Browser you want, then:
  • In the right-pane click Set this program as default

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question