Unable to Access Settings

Reaction score
When I try to access Settings, I get the following error:

ms-settings:// The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I tried the command-line suggested and right after I hit enter, I get a flash of a window popping up on my screen and then it's gone. It's so quick I can't see what it's trying to open.

Please help.

Reaction score
I checked the Event Viewer and found the following entries which might help someone:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\Application.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\Application.Manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

Unable to start a DCOM Server: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
"14001"
Happened while starting this command:
"C:\WINDOWS\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe" -ServerName:microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

Activation of app windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel failed with error: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Reaction score
I also cannot access my settings. When I try it flashes on then just as quickly is gone. After many attempts there is an error that says no such file association exists.

Ask a Question