Cannot set default web browser except edge.

Reaction score
When trying to set default app for webbrowsing there are all available browsers, but none will stay as default.
Reports "A setting for standard app was reset to Edge." I've tried to remove Thunderbird complete and reinstalled but no change. One of my problem is that the banking webpages does not work with Edge. Can't set default html application or assosiate several extensions.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Irylen,

Inside Edge go to your Bank website first then:
  • In top right side of Edge click the three . . .
  • Then in panel that opens select Open with Internet explorer

Now you may prefer to use another Browser like Chrome, Firefox, etcetera.

Assuming you have installed this alternate browser first, another way to set the default browser:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Control Panel
  • In the Conrol Panel upper right corner next to View by: select Large icons
  • Now left-click on Default Programs
  • Now click the hyperlink: Set your default programs
  • Wait for window to populate then in the left-pane click on the Browser you want as default
  • Now in the main window (right-pane) click the Hyperlink: Set this program as default

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi, I've tried that several times in all known tools for changing settings. THAT is my problem that none of windows tools are working to set default browser.

Regedit32

Reaction score
What browser are you wanting to use as Default?

Is it Chrome you want to use Thunderbird that you removed and reinstalled? Or are you trying something else now?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mozilla Thunderbird 46,0.1 and removed it and restareted and installed again and nothing change. I've even tried to install Chrome and choose it and the same issue appears.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK so with Chrome did you try the more convention means:
  • Click Start
  • Click Settings
  • Click System
  • In left pane click Default apps
  • In right pane click on Microsoft Edge then when list of installed browsers appears click Mozilla Firefox

Regedit32

Reaction score
The other thing with Firefox is you can do it this way:
  • Open Firefox
  • In the Firefox toolbar click Options
  • Now click on Advanced
  • Under System defaults put a check next to Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup
  • Click the Check Now button then click Yes when prompted

Or for Chrome:
  • Open Chrome
  • In top right corner click the three horizontal line icon
  • Click Settings
  • Scroll down a little and click the Make Google Chrome the default browser button

Reaction score
Sorry, but all those suggestions has been tried. So please give me some options that not included in normal ways to do. As I said no one of the ways of suggested works.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That's OK Irylen,

Something is obviously awry with your System if following the standard means to reset your Browser default is failing to update your Registry associations.

I really did not want to go here on this occasion but it seems like we'll have to examine your registry.

First I need some information from you about two subkeys. So to play things safe I'll get you to access that information using a command line rather than open the Registry Editor immeditately.

Please do the following and provide the information you get when you reply to this:
  • Right-click on Start then select Command Prompt (Admin) and click Yes when prompted.

This will open the Administrator: Command Prompt window to C:\WINDOWS\System32>

• At that prompt type or copy & paste the following command then press Enter to execute:

Code:
    reg query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\http\UserChoice

Example image of command and the result you might see:

RegQuery1.png

• Please note down Both entries:
    • Hash and the string of text in third column to right of it
      (e.g. TRDkNuVGvTs= if your information was same as the image above)

• ProgId and the string of text in the third column to right of it
      (e.g. ChromeHTML if your information was the same as image above)

• Note: the String of text is case sensitive so please make sure you user UPPERCASE or lowercase where appropriate when providing me this information.
    • Tip: you can copy & paste information form Command prompt by:
      • Click top left corner of prompt on the tiny C:\ icon
      • Choose Edit > Mark
      • Now you can left-click & hold button down at point you want to begin copy, and then drag mouse pointer to where you want to end copy then release mouse button
      • Now you can press Ctrl + C to copy, then Ctrl + V to paste in your reply to me, or Click that C:\ icon in top left corner of command prompt and choose Edit > copy

• Now you have noted that information down, return to the Administrator: Command Prompt window and type or copy & paste the following command then press Enter to execute:

Code:
    reg query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\https\UserChoice
  • Repeat above steps to supply me the information there too please. Remember its case sensitive!

Example image of second command:

RegQuery2.png

So to sum up I need you to provide me the details from both reg query results.

When you reply, should it be necessary are you comfortable editing your Registry, or would you prefer I write a REG file you can simply click on to merge?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I suggest your browser is defaulting to Edge, in order to accommodate the PDF files.
Download and install Adobe and make sure it is set as the default PDF reader. Then see, bu the suggested methods, if you can select another browser as your internet program.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I suggest your browser is defaulting to Edge, in order to accommodate the PDF files

That's a excellent point Dave -- maybe we can still avoid the Registry. :)

I certainly do not want to go there if its not needed.

Actually there was a update to Acrobat the other day. So if they all ready have Adobe installed it would be worth checking its been updated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
none will stay as default.
I assume by that, you mean they (when changed) revert back to something, which I assume is Edge.
When do they revert back?
Immediately?
After a reboot, log off, shut down or after a period of time?
IS this a work computer, domain member?
IS your account a member of the local administrators group?
Can you create a new user account as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user) and test to see if that new profile has the same problem changing and maintaining a default browser change?

Reaction score
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\http\UserChoice
Hash REG_SZ Q2/S4Pt7Jl8=

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\https\UserChoice
Hash REG_SZ P23NAfddtCo=

I have tried anothe local admin accout too. Same issue..
There is no ProgId in the reg. This mashine is a Win10 home. And I'm fairly ok with regedit.
Thanks.

Reaction score
I have just been browsing, and came to a very likely solution.

Install another browser (Opera is recommended) select it as the default. - that will work!
Then select chrome, once again, as your default.

Reaction score
Tried install Opera, exactly the same issue. Warning says "Problem occurred, resetting default htm browser to Edge"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like there is some third party software that has set restrictions on the registry keys that most if not all top tier browser have to have the ability to change.
How long has this been going on? Do you have a Restore Point that you might try, prior to the first occurrence of the problem?
Do you have a third party security suite installed or some other software that is guarding and protecting against browser changes.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Sounds like there is some third party software that has set restrictions

That certainly is a possibility.

I've been doing some fiddling in the Registry in an attempt to replicate the fault Irylen has been describing.

Thanks for your input (via Inbox messaging Trouble) re the Strings Hash and ProgID, as that helped me confirm its Microsoft's own algorithms setting these ProgID's and Hash keys. Any attempt to modify that Hash string outside of Microsoft's GUI's will cause these symptoms.

Some third party programs may be modifying the Hash and thus triggering Microsoft's System protection which uses that Generic response, 'Problems occurred, resetting X' where X is the Default built in app Microsoft recommend using in the Windows 10 environment to handle a particular file extension.

It appears this particular issue first began back in February this year for some Windows 10 users (not all) with the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3135173) dated 9 February, 2016.

I myself have not experienced any issue at all with this update, but clearly many have if you read the Forums on Microsoft's site. Some users have resorted to rolling back that update and managed to resolve their issues for now, but that is a temporary fix, not a real solution, and certainly not one I'd recommend given its a Cumulative update with several fixes for the OS.

Other users have discovered if they go to the official website of their Third party utilities and download the latest Installers for their third party applications, that this seems to resolve their issues. daveHC commented earlier regarding PDF associations taking over Edge and suggested downloading Adobe. For some users this is what they have done to resolve the issue.

Others are having Photos, and other image extensions reset and it appears a common third party utility in use with those users is a program called Irfanview. Likewise downloading the most recent installer for some seems to resolve that issue.

Yet others discovered using Winzip was the cause of their troubles, but again found downloading a new Installer from the official website solved their problems.

The common denominator here seems to be when a user has installed a third party tool from their favorite download site rather than from the Tools official website!

So it seems the same must surely apply to Third Party Browsers if logic applies.

The Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4 (KB3140743), dated 1 March, 2016 includes a repair to Default settings. If it is the case the February Cumulative update is in part the culprit then in theory the March cumulative update ought to resolve that.

Have you updated yet Irylen? Or have you not updated in while?

Back to the Windows Registry - if following the advice of daveHC and Troubles suggestions does not lead to a resolution and you have both KB3135173 dated 9 February, 2016 and KB3140743 dates 1 March, 2016 installed, then we can resort to a significant tweak to your Registry to force the particular app refusing to allow you to use a default option to stop this behavior.

I'd prefer not to be doing this though unless the other avenues do not work for you.

If we do need to go down this route I'll be needing you to confirm there are not other apps having the same issue too. Or whether its just the Browser (Edge) in this case you have this problem with.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for your effort. I have all available updates installed since I installed the first installation of Win10 at release date. I have default automatic update and as I can see version (KB3152599) of may 15 as the latest.
I have only used windows defender and there is no one of what I can find except edge that is making troubble.

Ask a Question