Nvidia loading my laptop with tons of lua files 1/26/2018

Reaction score
Just noticed that Nvidia is loading my Win10 computer Asus suddenly with lots and lots of .lua files (look like game things). I don't believe that I have ANY games loaded on my newest laptop here (that came with Nvidia installed on it). My Win10 has had several recent updates.

Freaked me out to see all these files suddenly loaded into my appdata folder.
Tried to live chat with Nvidia but couldn't get anyone (even though it said LC was available).
I am hopeful that this is not a security problem. Some of the verbage in these files (if not in all of them is word 'backend'...so that got me really worried--thinking 'backdoor'.
Anyone know anything about this? I'm scared. Thanks.
PS: Here is a sample of one of them (so MANY of them is another reason it seems odd):

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\data\wrappers\aliens_vs_predator_game\streaming_game.lua

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting ! I would never have guessed that !

I am wondering though if they have tested these files (marked in yellow)

2018-01-27_231853.jpg

and this was the result:

2018-01-27_231811.jpg

according to the McAfee Website......

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Just noticed that Nvidia is loading my Win10 computer Asus suddenly with lots and lots of .lua files
Do you have installed from Nvidia the Geforce Experience? If you do, did you just use the recommended install settings? That software will update anything and everything it can get it's hands on.....if allowed including the driver.

I have a GTX 1060, didn't install that junk software "Geforce Experience" and I don't have none of that you say is being installed by Nvidia.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I do NOT have that...at least *I* never installed anything like that. (Had this laptop for 6 months -- bought new.)
Thanks to both of you who responded.
I'm going to call Nvidia *AND* Norton on Monday. Norton found zero threats.

Ask a Question