SOLVED Intel vs Nvidia ?

Reaction score
I have just acquired a HP computer which has two graphics setting, Intel and Nvidia, This allows to set a game to either one of these.

My question is why wouldn't all the games be set to Nvidia? Is there a reason not to do this?

I would think that Nvidia would be the logical choice, but then I am not known for my technical expertise.:)

What say ye of the technical mind?

Thank you

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
This depends on a few things, is the GPU embedded on the CPU or is the GPU embedded on the mobo or is it an add-on GPU. Then you have to decided if the CPU with the GPU is better than the mobo embedded GPU or is the addon GPU better then all of them.

Reaction score
I have a machine like this as well. THe motherboard has Intel graphics built in. The PC has a medium price Nvidia graphics card installed. The monitor is plugged into the Nvidia card so that is what is used.

However. A modern motherboard with Intel graphics could well do graphics much better than a cheaper and probably slower Nvidia card. Assuming they are both doing the same resolution and scan rate.

If you play strategy games like Civilization you probably wouldn't notice any difference in speed.

If the machine has plenty of memory for the Intel graphics you might not notice any difference in any case...unless your Nvidia card is something like a 1080.

Reaction score
Sorry, I was called away.
Well, I cannot tell the difference so I guess it doesn't matter.
The Nvidia is GeForce 930MX, which I understand is used for the laptops. Which is what my One-in-All basically is, without a battery.
Thanks for the answers.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Well, I cannot tell the difference so I guess it doesn't matter.
With out your exact make/model laptop it just a guess. That said, the difference is; you have 2 GPU's. 1. The intel is built onto your CPU. 2. Your 2nd GPU is embedded on the mobo. It's suppose to automatically switch between the 2 for everyday usage (uses the GPU on the CPU) [as that is just a basic GPU] and the embedded GPU (930mx) which is a low end entry level gaming GPU. The 930MX is way better then the Intel version....IMHO.

Reaction score
not sure if this is same thing but i also have same type of issue i think atm. i have a alien ware Laptop R3 with a intel core i7-6700HQ cpu @ 2.60GHz and a Nvidia Gforce GTX 1070. Issue is i was trying to get up a 3 monitor system with 3 - 24" , 144Hz monitors. I can get them all to work and extended but when i try to get them to span as one monitor it doesnt work. i noticed 2 monitors and the laptop display ( which i have turned off ) pop up as using the Nvidia card while the 3rd monitor is on the intel 530 graphics card and for the life of me i cant seem to get that one onto the nvidia or even all 3 on them on the same one either way ... any ideas? i am not the most techy person but i can build and i have but researching this for weeks. just got tired of being asked if i had them pluged in lol. Oh yea and there ports are 1 on HDMI ,1 on C-usb port with thunderbolt, and other on the Mini Display port. i think it might me the Mini DP that is screwing me. Anyways - thx

Reaction score
That might be something you have to resolve in the UEFI/bios. Problem is every manufactures UEFI/bios is different, so that's something you'd have to consult the manual to find out. You may have to download that from Dell's website. The 1070 should be able to drive 3 monitors though, I would think.

Ask a Question