SOLVED Intel installations

Reaction score
A little info. Use it or ignore it.
I am not too neurotic about security and spying.
Yesterday, I decided on a big clean up. The usual manual deletion of obsolete items etc. Then, a look in the services, which I have neglected for some time.
I found I had seven Intel services running(!!) on automatic, and decided to do a little research. This is where I was shocked. I found myself on an official Intel site, where the matter was being discussed. One post, from a senior Intel engineer, stated that at least two of the services were for the information of Intel only, and not for public consumption or knowledge. This astounded me.
There was a query, as to how Intel could legally install whole programs on a computer, without first obtaining permission from the owner. There was no specific answer to that.

I made my own decision, and put all of the intel services on Manual.
I have tried every running trick available , and, so far, have not found any detriments in performance.

No way am I going to allow Intel to keep tabs on my activities!!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Which Intel Services are info mining?

Also, could you post a link to the site you mentioned.

Reaction score
https://communities.intel.com/thread/33910

and I have all these:

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
OK. I had another link with some angrier queries. Still looking. I cant see it in the history either. I'll come back and post when I find it!

Reaction score
Did you install the Intel support tool at any time Dave?, that would explain how they got into your system as they have a free hand once you agree to the installation of the tool!. ;)

Reaction score
I have never manually installed anything direct from Intel. It only comes through the Windows driver updates

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm,

Given Intel's lack of response on some of these Services it makes me wonder whether one of these has something to do with the latest security threat. Could they be attempting to detect an issue they are aware of and plug it, without too much publicity? I hope not!

Reaction score
Could it have been the recent Spectre Meltdown patch. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Dave: Have you tried Malwarebytes "StartUpLite?
It's an effective small program from Malwarebytes that does the thinking for you. It can safely remove or disable unnecessary start up entries from your PC.

Attachments

• Mambam.PNG
    Mambam.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 502
Reaction score
Thanks for the care guys, but, just to recap. I do not have a virus! This is an intel thing. I posted it for info and interest only.This particular(Dell) computer, has several Intel hardware items- even the Bluetooth. With the services disabled, I still have an (almost) perfect installation, with no apparent glitches, so it is no longer an issue.
I'll mark it as solved, as it appears to have been taken in the wrong context.

Last edited:

Ask a Question