BITS Background Intelligent Transfer Services

Reaction score
Hi
Windows update will not automatically update. When I check the services using services.msc, the windows update is running, the cryptographic service is running but the BITS service is not. When I set the service to automatic and start, pick apply, it starts ok. and indicates running. When I restart the computer the BITS service is set back to manual and stopped.
I have tried all the fixes I can find with no luck. Can anybody help please.
Thank you
Geoff

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi TechieGeoff,

The Background Intelligent Service should be set to start manually rather than automatically.

If you are referring to the Fall Update not appearing, you may not be aware Microsoft are rolling out this update so it may simply be a case of it not being your turn yet to receive this update.

If you are talking about general updates like Windows Defender, and app updates then your best bet would be to:
  • Click Start > Settings Cog
  • Then from the windows settings window select Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update and allow the built-in tool to detect any issues and repair them for you.

Reaction score
Hi TechieGeoff,

The Background Intelligent Service should be set to start manually rather than automatically.

If you are referring to the Fall Update not appearing, you may not be aware Microsoft are rolling out this update so it may simply be a case of it not being your turn yet to receive this update.

If you are talking about general updates like Windows Defender, and app updates then your best bet would be to:
  • Click Start > Settings Cog
  • Then from the windows settings window select Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update and allow the built-in tool to detect any issues and repair them for you.
Done this and the BITS service was set to manual.
Ran the troubleshooter and it said that there were pending updates.
Said it Fixed the problem and try doing what I was doing which was check for updates. Then got the message that my computer is up to date. Will leave it for the time being and wait and see if the updates come automatically.
Thank You
Geoff

Ask a Question