SOLVED Office 2016 no activate

Reaction score
So, my 6 year old PC has been replaced with a new PC this morning. During 2017, I purchased MS Office 2016 and installed it on this 6 year old PC. Reading instructions for transfer of my Office 2016 to a new PC, I uninstalled MS Office 2016 (single Unit software) prior to unplugging and removing the old PC.

Then, upon installing this new PC, I noticed MS Office 2016 was already listed in my program list. I didn't expect MS Office to be there, since it is not part of the "included" software for this new PC.

Using my external HD, I reinstalled my Office documents and tried to see if they would open. My documents I installed opened in good order, except that a pop-up appears that says I need to activate Office 2016. When I followed the prompt and tried that, a response appeared that said my activation wouldn't work due to the fact my license has bee activated the maximum number of times already and will no longer be activated.

Do I need to repurchase MSOffice?

Reaction score
powrus That's strange! When I updated my laptop from Win 7 to Win 10 last year I attempted to install MS Office 2010. I also had a pop up that said the same. No big deal as the laptop isn't a daily user.
Several months later after updating Windows to current Win 10 version, I inserted my Office CD and installed Office 2010. The second time it activated with no problems or licensing warnings. I wouldn't do anything drastic, just make sure the PC is up to date, it could be a another one of the MS install glitches.

Reaction score
Well, here's the thing. This Office2016 is a single unit (PC) piece of software. As I understand it, it can only be activated on one PC - and then maybe activated on another PC - after the first Office program has been completely removed from the prior one. It can only be used by a singe PC unless a one-time emergency dictates otherwise.

Now, yesterday, my PC took a dive and I needed to reboot and start from scratch. When the OS came up, of course my apps and programs were all missing. So I reinstalled my Office2016 with the current 'activation' key and things were fine.

Later on yesterday, my PC failed again so I [again] uninstalled my Office2016 and then removed the PC from service. Now I've got this new PC and Microsoft says I've used the 'activation' key to its max.

Of course, I have tried in vain to get someone from MS to assist.

Reaction score
Please keep us posted. Maybe someone on the forum has a work around for you?

Reaction score
Use the phone activation service, go through the process and they will ask you how many PC's you have it installed on, answer "1" (one) and then confirm the code and enter whatever they tell you!. (That is at least how it is for Windows OS!).

Reaction score
Use the phone activation service, go through the process and they will ask you how many PC's you have it installed on, answer "1" (one) and then confirm the code and enter whatever they tell you!. (That is at least how it is for Windows OS!).
I tried to do that, and although they give the option for "phone" activation, the link says "no phone activation" for my device. Only activate via the wizard.

A valid phone number for such issues would be great.

Reaction score
Hoorah. I found this link https://www.urtech.ca/2014/07/solve...e-to-activate-your-windows-or-office-product/ which provided a new number, namely (888) 652-2342 and once called, a robot walked me through a myriad of confirmation blocks and numbers. Once the blocks A thru H were filled with 6 digit numbers and hit "enter'" the prompt said I was activated. I think I am actuall activated since no more pop-ups appear following the opening of a document.

As always, thanks for your feedback.

Reaction score
Wolfie - You nailed it, my friend. You had the answer.

My only problem was finding a way to bypass the activation wizard, which would not accept my "phone" activation.

Reaction score
Great indeed!. :) I had to do the same with 2 Windows PC's recently after moving the OS to newer PC's so I have a "Black Belt" in phone activation!. :) Oddly enough, I will have to do the same for my version of Office 2010 for which I have 3 licences and one was moved to another computer recently (my new notebook)!. ;)

Ask a Question