Open Shell worked for years but after a Win 10 update it stopped booting up.

Reaction score
This happened some time ago.

Open Shell was working perfectly until an Update download from MS on Win10 a while back. I can get it to work by clicking on the icon opening it up then closing it but it will disappear when the pc is shut down so we start again when I power the PC up. I have version 4.4.152 in my downloads so should I just remove all the old Open Shell program for a clean install of version 4.4.152 and will that fix it as I hate the Win10 start menu. Now will that or should it make Open Shell work properly.

Thank you all for any help

I was told to re-install version 4.4.152
Now I have done this before and I get a couple of boxes with the wording like below.
That’s not all but you get back but you get the idea of what it says.

Now I have done this before and I get a couple of boxes with the wording like below. That’s not all but you get back but you get the idea of what it says.

Explorer using files. Some files that need to be updated are currently in use “Start Menu.exe” “Windows Explorer” You are then given the 2 choices below: 1. Close the application and attempt to restart them. 2 Do not close the application, A reboot will be required.

I had put a shortcut on my desktop so I can open the program and get the program to work but that lasts one session only so I have to do it each time I power my PC up.

Reaction score
There is an option in settings you need to check first. Make sure it is set to load at startup. Sometimes to trigger a change, you will need to turn the setting off and save. Then turn it back on again. This makes sure any glitches in setting are cycled.

As long as you have Open-shell install folder. Open-shell does not need to be installed to function. I started using the install folder as a standalone application. If you don't know what that is. They are applications that do not need to be installed.

However if you don't install the application. It will not load at boot. So my work around for this is to add a shortcut to Open-Shell executable in the startup folder. Anything in the startup folder will load at boot. You have the application installed but it will not hurt to have startup redundancy.

Ask a Question