Problems opening file types copied to my hard drive

Reaction score
Hi all I have a ssd as my main storage and a hdd as a secondary on my windows 10 laptop. I was making room on my ssd so I copied some jpg,txt, pdf,zips and some exes. When I try to open jpgs I get " it appears we don't support this file format.".
The pdfs give me could not open because it is either not supported or file type is damaged."
Txt files give me I do not have permission to open the files.
When I try to extract zips using 7 zip I get cannot open the file as the archive is not archive."

When I copied the files over I did not see an problems and the file worked fine on the original drive. My problem is I deleted the originals thinking I had backed them up. This only started happening about a month later.

Reaction score
One thing I've run into a few times was not assuring I had copied the actual file rather than just a shortcut to it. And when a file won't open properly I use the Open with... on the right-click of it to choose a program. I also check the file size, shortcuts are small. Also on the right-click of a file gives information such as where the file is located on which drive.

Reaction score
Are you using drive compression by any chance? If the files were compressed on the source drive they may not open properly on a different drive.....

Reaction score
I suggest that, before you start to try out any experiments, that you select one or two of the files and copy them back - then see if they work. Whatever the outcome, look at the possibilities with Bighorn's suggestion.

Ask a Question