SOLVED Opening Documents with Apps

Reaction score
Okay, one more issue I'd like to address; Regarding a prior 'missing documents' issue here on this forum, those hidden documents were found with the wonderful help from this forum's Norton. Now when I attempt to open a document, I get the pop-up box that asks which app I want to use in order to open that document. My preference is for that document to OPEN without any further ado. However, if I don't select an app the document remains UN-opened.

Possible to bypass this step?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you could perhaps share the type of document (its' file extension) or the application you would prefer to use when opening said document we could be of further help.

Reaction score
If you could perhaps share the type of document (its' file extension) or the application you would prefer to use when opening said document we could be of further help.
Sure. When it used to open, the file extension was .xlsx. I would like it to open with MS Excel.

Reaction score
Is Excel selected as the default app for .xlsx ?

settings-> system -> default apps. scroll down to Choose default apps by file type then scroll that down to .xlsx There are a whole pile of .xls* that should all be Excel

It might be faster to go to set defaults by app and scroll down to Excel. Click there and all the file types Excel can open will be set.

Reaction score
Hi Tim - I followed your lead and found five (5) Excel apps with file types, xlt, xlthtnl, xltm, xltx, and xlw.

The only file xlsx is next to an app I just downloaded called XLSX viewer. I would prefer to open my docs with Excel if possible.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Capture2.JPG

Reaction score
Excel is not listed among those programs on my PC. I re-installed Office 2007 as it was wiped away during my Win10 refresh. I've done several updates to Office 2007 since then. Office is loaded now. But still no sign of Office or Word or Excel among that list you provided.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
no sign of Office or Word or Excel among that list you provided.
That doesn't sound good. I assume you've reboot the machine once or twice since the installation and updates.
You may have to do a repair of the office installation from the Control Panel -> Programs and Features applet, but before you do....
Right click any .xls or xlsx file and choose properties.
On the General tab, near the top you will see a change button, use that to browse to your install directory for Excel and select EXCEL.exe
See if that does the trick.

Reaction score
Okay, see if this makes sense. At least it's working now. I downloaded SP2 Excel viewer from MS which allowed me to choose "excel" as my documents 'open with' app. I never had that option before now.

Your assist is greatly appreciated. For now, I'm planning to walk away and do my PT exercises. Hopefully, the sun will shine tomorrow and I'll send along a "problem solved" link.

https://download.microsoft.com/down...xcelviewer2007sp2-kb953336-fullfile-en-us.exe

Reaction score
It should be supported. I have Office Home and Student 2007 installed. I have had no problem with this version. Haven't had any experience with any other version.

Reaction score
Is Office 2007 supported on W10 ?
I'm no expert, as you know by now, but after reading about potential fixes for my particular issue, I don't think Win10 works too well with Office 2007 without some compatibility updates along the way and thru the years. Since I just re-installed the raw MS Office2007 today, updates kept coming in. I installed the Office 2007 program from CD which I was lucky to have kept on my shelf. The service pack update that allowed me to move forward was one of several programs and apps I installed after reading old blogs. All but one of those are now UN-installed.

My sincere thanks to all who assisted on this. I apologize for my stumbling about and not always understanding what you are trying to convey. With your kind help, this is 3 or 4 things that have been resolved on this forum just this week.

Reaction score
Ms Office 2007 is compatible with Windows 10. There will be a gazillion updates to download and install if you did a fresh Offie 2007 install. Be patient, and do some PT while they update your machine. The to associate your .xlsx spread sheets, go to Settings > System > Default apps > "Choose default apps by file type" (bottom of page) and choose XL.xlsx you will find the app near the bottom of the page. In total there are a total of 20 XL.app association files to choose from.

Reaction score
The to associate your .xlsx spread sheets, go to Settings > System > Default apps > "Choose default apps by file type" (bottom of page) and choose XL.xlsx you will find the app near the bottom of the page. In total there are a total of 20 XL.app association files to choose from.
Outstanding, and yes! I now have 17 files associated with Excel app.

Ask a Question