'Optimisation not available' for my SSD drive

Reaction score
Yet, if I use the administrative command prompt and type 'defrag C: /U', a behavour follows that is the same as defragging the drive (in up to 10 passes) before the upgrade of Win7 to Win10. Since optimisation IS available, how can I get the G.U.I. to stop telling me fibs ?

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-1_20-18-47.png
    upload_2016-8-1_20-18-47.png
    84 bytes · Views: 788

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Sebastian,

That flag /U will print progress to screen, but assuming you were optimizing you'd be more likely to use /O

For your SSD drive though you could instead:
  • In search box type Windows PowerShell
  • Right-click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator
  • When the UAC dialog pops up click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter X -ReTrim -Verbose

Note: replace the X with the drive letter assigned to your SSD

Also Note: DO NOT use this command on a normal drive. This is ONLY for SSD!

Press Enter key to execute command

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
In the Search box opened by clicking the Task Bar magnifying glass [ Cortana ?], I typed 'Windows Power Shell', and of the options that showed, I chose WindowsPowerShellAdministrator - that opened a browser (Edge ?)
rather than a UAC query.
If your 'receipe' succeeeds - what is the outcome ?
I was hoping that the answer to my posted question would trigger 'normal' behaviour from Optimise, rather than a denial of fact.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If opening Windows PowerShell is actually opening Edge then your System is corrupted.

You can open an elevated command prompt and type powershell then press Enter key

Then you can enter the command I gave you before which is how you optimize an SSD in Windows 10

Reaction score
Can I deduce from your answer that the GUI method (?) will KEEP saying 'optimisation not available' and that can not be corrected ? The actual optimisation (the defrag part of it) I had already achieved. I was asking about correcting the display of false information in the GUI.

Regedit32

Reaction score
PowerShell is a Graphical User Interface (GUI).

Perhaps you meant Context Menu.

If you are wanting to add Optimization to your context menu then you'll need to modify your Registry by adding a couple of keys:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Click Yes to the UAC alert
  • At the prompt type or copy & paste the following commands: Press Enter key after each command to execute.

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\Optimize Drives" /v Icon /d dfrgui.exe

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\Optimize Drives\command" /d dfrgui.exe

Once you restart computer the Registry keys will load and Optimize options will appear in your context menu.

Reaction score
I did NOT mean Context menu. I meant the window that opens FROM the Context Menu; Properties; Tools; Optimise; which STILL shows "Optimisation Not Available" even after it was defragged today. The buttons for both Analyze and Optimise are greyed out. Can THAT misinformation not be corrected somehow ?

In case it is relevant, that same window shows the presence of another entity - which I suspect is a reference to the same SSD - in this format : \\?\Volume{a 30 character code}\

Reaction score
Sebastion I had a similar issue 2 week ago, with a spinner not an SSD. I tried to repair it to no avail. I ended up turning off System Restore and then re-enabling it. That solved my problem.

Reaction score
I found that System Protection was turned off. So I turned it on, and then checked for optimization again. NO change.

Reaction score
I had not, because for some mysterious reason, all I saw of the post was the first two lines. I will now try the recommended steps - and will report back.

Reaction score
I have now entered those two new registry keys, but the SSD still shows as 'optimization not available' with the both 'analyze' and 'optimize' greyed out.

Regedit32

Reaction score
What are your BIOS settings at the moment?

Are you still using IDE or did you change to ACHI given you have SSD?

Some users have found after switching to ACHI and updating the ACHI drivers the Optimization is now no longer greyed out. Depending on your particular model of SSD, the alternate after ensuring ACHI is enabled is to allow Windows 10 to assign its generic driver to the SSD.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I remember having a similar issue with defrag after swapping an old 5400 RPM spinner in a laptop for a new SSD.
I figured it was just that the SATA controller was old, like SATA 1 or maybe, just maybe SATA 2 and it didn't know how to deal with the SSD.
It was an old very early vista laptop as I recall. I didn't let it worry me.

Reaction score
What are your BIOS settings at the moment?

Are you still using IDE or did you change to ACHI given you have SSD?

Some users have found after switching to ACHI and updating the ACHI drivers the Optimization is now no longer greyed out. Depending on your particular model of SSD, the alternate after ensuring ACHI is enabled is to allow Windows 10 to assign its generic driver to the SSD.

No, my drives are connected as SATA; but I have noticed (not necessarily on THIS PC) even when drives are SATA, BIOS may still list them as IDE - which has long puzzled me. On THIS PC I have specifically looked for the RST and SMART settings in case they could correct the wrong information the GUI gives, but found nothing I could identify as relating to them. I did not specifically look for AHCI, but I think I would have noticed it, if it had been there.

As for the later comment that Win10 will do it when it thinks best 1. It still leaves the statement 'optimisation not available' WRONG; and 2. I KNOW to takes a long time to do 10 passes - for just defragging - and I would rather do that that when it suits ME, than when Windows thinks it is best.

Reaction score
I remember having a similar issue with defrag after swapping an old 5400 RPM spinner in a laptop for a new SSD.
I figured it was just that the SATA controller was old, like SATA 1 or maybe, just maybe SATA 2 and it didn't know how to deal with the SSD.
It was an old very early vista laptop as I recall. I didn't let it worry me.

The motherboard was new in Dec 2011 - I suppose that is 'old' in the hyp cyber world. I do not have trouble defragging; my trouble is that the PC lies to me.

Ask a Question