Bitlocker - does not reset and recovery key 'not available'

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope I'm posting in the right place.

When I switched my laptop on a few hours ago it stated bit locker and key needed.

I've tried to reset and remove all personal files (all my files are saved on cloud) but their 'was a problem resetting pc'.

Then tried to get key (using internet on phone) but their was an error from Windows when I tried to input password for accessing cloud. However I can access my cloud through the app on my phone without any problems.

Called a pc repair service and they said the only option was to wait until I Windows could give me a recovery key.

I've never come across this problem before.

Hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Why is your recovery key unavailable? Did you not store it on external media?
Unfortunately I can't be of much help with Bitlocker associated issues that might apply to the OS volume, as I've never seen fit to encrypt my Operating System Drive, only data drives and those usually external.
You might see if there is a BIOS option to disable the TPM module to see if that might stop you being prompted for the key at startup.
Other than that, I got nothin..... sorry.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Why is your recovery key unavailable? Did you not store it on external media?
Unfortunately I can't be of much help with Bitlocker associated issues that might apply to the OS volume, as I've never seen fit to encrypt my Operating System Drive, only data drives and those usually external.
You might see if there is a BIOS option to disable the TPM module to see if that might stop you being prompted for the key at startup.
Other than that, I got nothin..... sorry.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

I've used computers since I was a kid and knew about bitlocker key and the key. I have saved the recovery key and I have used this for part of the verification to get the bitlocker key but at the end of the process their was an error code and advised to try later.

I assumed Windows 10 was initially encrypted because I have not encrytped anything. Don't know how to.

I assume from your answer that this is not normal for Windows 10.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No it is definitely not normal or in anyway default for any version of Windows to deploy Bitlocker Drive Encryption without the user (admin account) stepping through the process.
If you didn't do it, then.....
who might have? Are there multiple accounts on the computer? Does someone else have access to your account information?

Reaction score
Now this is scary.

No one else has access, single user, not connected to a network, personal computer and password is long and random.

How do I find out how this happened? Would you have any idea?

Thanks again for help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, but I haven't a clue.
Have you checked the system BIOS for any reference to TPM (Trusted Platform Module) or anything else there with respect to some type of enhanced security settings that may have been enabled accidently.

Reaction score
Just managed to retrieve the key. The recovery password wasn't enough and verification through linked account (which I had not used for a while) was necessary.

And just cup over all my files to a separate Dr rive and making a few copies of both keys and password.

Thank you so much for helping.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you managed to get it squared away.
Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Ask a Question