Bitlocker- decrypting drive

Reaction score
Hi all, I encrypted my toshiba external hdd and now have no access to it what-so-ever, I'm running 10 pro with latest updates but get a message saying i need a newer version of windows to do this????. The drive is seen by laptop ( Dell Vostro 1015 ) it also locks up my screen some times until I remove the usb, this can last all night. I have 650 gb on the drive of 750gb. Can anyone help. Mark

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is this happening on the same device (computer) that you used to apply Bitlocker?
Whenever I move my Bitlock'd drive to another computer and attempt to access it, I'm prompted for a password to "unlock" the drive....

Capture.PNG

Are you being prompted for a password?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you go here Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\BitLocker Drive Encryption
What does your window look like?
Can you use the native snipping tool to capture an image like mine below??

Capture5.PNG

Can you please attach an image of this window to your next post??

Reaction score
If your external drive can be seen, open Explorer click on the drive and from the menu, select manage Bit Locker. From there, you should have the ability to turn Bit Locker OFF. Good Luck!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe that the "manage bit locker" option is only available, once the drive has been "unlocked", which seems to be the root of the problem here.

Reaction score
Hmm! Trouble What was I thinking? I believe you are right, In fact you are right I just tested it.

Reaction score
If you guys were to go to the Settings, Updates, do you see a Devices encryption link on the bottom of the listing? This is where I check BitLocker because my system will encrypt my OS partition whenever I reset or reinstall Win 10.

In order to get the drive decrypted, I have to be on a Microsoft Account and of course Activated. Once there I can turn off BitLocker and choose to decrypt the drive. The BitLocker codes for me, are on my Microsoft account and my BCD Store contains the line below.

fverecoveryurl https://windows.microsoft.com/recoverykey

Reaction score
Saltgrass Thanks! Good to know. However, I just checked Settings, Updates, but don't see the Devices encryption that you mention. Win 10 Pro 1709 : 16299.251. I'm missing something?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it also locks up my screen some times until I remove the usb
Whenever I've had issues with an attached external drive locking up a running computer, it was very often due to a faulty drive. The drive itself was failing.

I've had a few instances in the past where a perfectly fine externally connected USB drive, prevented the computer from booting, but....
IF the computer was running when I connected the drive and then exhibited symptoms like locking or freezing, I found that these were problems with the physical drive and as soon as I disconnected the drive the computer was fine.

Reaction score
Whenever I've had issues with an attached external drive locking up a running computer, it was very often due to a faulty drive. The drive itself was failing.

I've had a few instances in the past where a perfectly fine externally connected USB drive, prevented the computer from booting, but....
IF the computer was running when I connected the drive and then exhibited symptoms like locking or freezing, I found that these were problems with the physical drive and as soon as I disconnected the drive the computer was fine.
i agree

Reaction score
Hi all, I encrypted my toshiba external hdd and now have no access to it what-so-ever, I'm running 10 pro with latest updates but get a message saying i need a newer version of windows to do this????. The drive is seen by laptop ( Dell Vostro 1015 ) it also locks up my screen some times until I remove the usb, this can last all night. I have 650 gb on the drive of 750gb. Can anyone help. Mark
Thanks every one, I'll give all a try tonight. This is the first response I've seen since posting. Ta

Ask a Question