Outlook 2016 starting on bootup after installing Win 10 1709

Reaction score
Ian....nope I don't use any power settings for sleep or hibernate. This morning Outlook did not open upon boot up. Curiouser and Curiouser!

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've been thinking about your Outlook issue and decided to play around with the Fall Update myself, as I've been spending most of my time testing insider releases.

Something you may not realize is that with the Fall update Microsoft introduced a new Feature, which allows an app that was open at the time of shutdown, to automatically re-open on the next startup. The concept behind this new feature is to help people pick up where they left off [ if using certain apps regularly ], and to offer a kind of fail safe should the computer suffer a power outage, or low battery.

It may be this new feature which is creating your issue.

One way to test this would be the following:
  • Start your outlook application [ if not all ready started ]
  • Shut computer down with Outlook still open
  • Restart computer
Theoretically, Outlook ought to automatically start again.

Assuming it does automatically start again when you restart your computer, then do the following:​
  • Press Windows key + M to minimize all active windows
  • Now click on your Desktop to give focus to it
  • Now press your Alt + F4 keys together to open the Windows shutdown dialog
  • Click OK to shutdown

img.png
  • Using this shutdown method ought to prevent Outlook automatically restarting on next Startup if my theory is correct.
  • Alternatively, closing the Outlook app via Task Manager before shutting down or restarting computer ought to also prevent it automatically starting on reboot of computer.

Reaction score
Since the fall update, I have also been having these odd occurrences. In my case, it is sometimes (not always) the Home page of my bowser which pops up. I have investigated running processes and the services, but there doeas not seem to be a logical reason for it. If it were regular, it would be relatively easy to nail, but it is, for the moment, only random.

Reaction score
I've been thinking about your Outlook issue and decided to play around with the Fall Update myself, as I've been spending most of my time testing insider releases.

Something you may not realize is that with the Fall update Microsoft introduced a new Feature, which allows an app that was open at the time of shutdown, to automatically re-open on the next startup. The concept behind this new feature is to help people pick up where they left off [ if using certain apps regularly ], and to offer a kind of fail safe should the computer suffer a power outage, or low battery.

It may be this new feature which is creating your issue.

One way to test this would be the following:
  • Start your outlook application [ if not all ready started ]
  • Shut computer down with Outlook still open
  • Restart computer
Theoretically, Outlook ought to automatically start again.

Assuming it does automatically start again when you restart your computer, then do the following:​
  • Press Windows key + M to minimize all active windows
  • Now click on your Desktop to give focus to it
  • Now press your Alt + F4 keys together to open the Windows shutdown dialog
  • Click OK to shutdown

View attachment 7602
  • Using this shutdown method ought to prevent Outlook automatically restarting on next Startup if my theory is correct.
  • Alternatively, closing the Outlook app via Task Manager before shutting down or restarting computer ought to also prevent it automatically starting on reboot of computer.
You really provided some great insight to this issue. However I always close all open apps before shut down. This morning Outlook did not start upon bootup...go figure. Lets see how things go for a few days. Thanks so much for your research and insight.

Ask a Question