Outlook 2016 starting on bootup after installing Win 10 1709

Reaction score
I recently installed WIn 10 Fall Creators - build 1709. Now Outlook 2016 starts automatically when I boot up each morning and it never did that before. There is no entry in startup folder for Outlook so I can't disable it.

FYI......Start up no longer 'lives' in msconfig. With 1709 it resides in the task manager and msconfig tells the user to go there.

I don't want Outlook to start until I want it to start. How can I stop it? I have not modified Office/Outlook and am the only user of this pc.

Reaction score
Hi TerriB,

right click the bottom panel > Task Manager > More details (at the bottom of window) > Start-up and disable it there (highlight the entry and then click on disable)!. :)

start-up.JPG

Reaction score
Hi TerriB,

right click the bottom panel > Task Manager > More details (at the bottom of window) > Start-up and disable it there (highlight the entry and then click on disable)!. :)

View attachment 7494

Thanks for replying but as I stated earlier there is no entry for Outlook in Start Up and my task manager always shows all details.

Reaction score
Alrighty then, try "msconfig > sevices" > and see if there is an entry for Oulook and take it out!, click on "Apply" if you find it. :)

msconfig.JPG

Reaction score
Alrighty then, try "msconfig > sevices" > and see if there is an entry for Oulook and take it out!, click on "Apply" if you find it. :)

View attachment 7499

I went thru that exercise yesterday and my eyes are still crossed reading thru all those entries but Outlook is not among them. This is one of the most puzzling simple things I have run across. What starts up is not rocket science but perhaps its close now...lol. Maybe as more people get the update more will have this problem and someone will find out wassup. Its not the end of the world that Outlook starts by itself but I prefer very few start up items upon boot up.

Reaction score
Try the looking at the following link, I don't use it so cannot really comment further!. :)

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto

Nothing there really addresses Outlook 2016 opening at startup automatically but thanks so much for trying to help. Today it didn't start by itself BUT Chrome did. Its not in msconfig startup either and the
'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed' is unchecked. Ghost in the machine? I have not added any programs and I am the only user of this pc. I ran malware checks and all is well. I will just have to live with this odd behavior.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
And
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

and failing either or both of those look to these registry locations but of course back it up, create a restore point manually, and export the key prior to editing for safe keeping.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can also use AutoRuns from SysInternals, which may also help locate the problem. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Reaction score
There are a couple of antvirus/spam programs which have an option to do this. (You?)

Reaction score
Check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
And
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

and failing either or both of those look to these registry locations but of course back it up, create a restore point manually, and export the key prior to editing for safe keeping.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can also use AutoRuns from SysInternals, which may also help locate the problem. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

============

Not comfortable messing with the registry. I did run a registry cleaner though as I do every now and then.

I ran AutoRuns and I am overwhelmed by all the entries and not really sure what I should be looking for .

Update on what starts on bootup...now I not only get Outlook but also the last message that I looked at even though I closed it before shut down AND the virtual keyboard is popping up on bootup and I have not used it in a long time. This is just weird.

Reaction score
There are a couple of antvirus/spam programs which have an option to do this. (You?)

Are you saying the there are programs that will tell me what is starting up that should not be? I would love to know what those are please. I have Norton 360 and have used malwarebytes and spybot but nothing helpful shows up that would explain the weird start up items.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not comfortable messing with the registry. I did run a registry cleaner though as I do every now and then.

CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds) has an option under Tools > Startup, that I think covers the registry entries that @Trouble posted above, if you're not comfortable with editing the registry.

If you can post a screenshot of your startup list from within CCleaner, we may be able to advise if we can spot any problems (you may need to maximise the app window, to get it all to fit on one screenshot).

Reaction score
CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds) has an option under Tools > Startup, that I think covers the registry entries that @Trouble posted above, if you're not comfortable with editing the registry.

If you can post a screenshot of your startup list from within CCleaner, we may be able to advise if we can spot any problems (you may need to maximise the app window, to get it all to fit on one screenshot).

Here is data from tools>startup...
upload_2017-11-15_9-49-23.png

No issues reported for 'run at startup'.Here is what it gave me for 'system start menu shortcuts'. Let me know what else to look in the categories.

upload_2017-11-15_9-41-12.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you saying the there are programs that will tell me what is starting up that should not be? I would love to know what those are please. I have Norton 360 and have used malwarebytes and spybot but nothing helpful shows up that would explain the weird start up items.

No. What they do, in some isolated cases, is check you email entries to see if there is any malware being brought through that avenue. I am guessing (it is a guess!) that they could be causing the Email program to remain open whilst doing so.

Reaction score
No. What they do, in some isolated cases, is check you email entries to see if there is any malware being brought through that avenue. I am guessing (it is a guess!) that they could be causing the Email program to remain open whilst doing so.

My Outlook email program does get checked for malware,etc but thanks for the suggestion. In the past week I have Chrome open at startup and then Outlook and now Outlook and touch keyboard. Wonder whats next? I have run so many malware programs and nothing comes up.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Along a similar line to what Dave suggested, I would also try temporarily disabling "GetSmilie" and "Safe PST Backup" (possibly Greetings workshop too), as both of those may hook in to Outlook.

Reaction score
Along a similar line to what Dave suggested, I would also try temporarily disabling "GetSmilie" and "Safe PST Backup" (possibly Greetings workshop too), as both of those may hook in to Outlook.
I will try it but those have always been in my startup folder and this problem just started when I updated Win 10 to Fall Creators 1709.

Update: I disabled those and restarted the computer and Outlook and the last message (I had closed it) I read still started. I did remove the touch keyboard from the taskbar and put a shortcut on the desktop and that took care of that one! This has to be the strangest thing I have seen in a long time.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I see you are using the Safe PST Backup, which does access Outlook, so despite having had it for a while with no such issues, it could be worth checking whether there is an update for that program, or if not, perhaps uninstalling it, then reinstalling it would help.

I also noted you are using some Realtek product for audio?! You can confirm that if you like.

If you are using anything like Realtek Bluetooth at all let us know as the configuration files for some of Realtek's products and drivers take advantage of Microsoft's intended API calls, which Outlook most certainly uses.

Typically you'd find such configuration files for Realtek located in C:\Program Files\Realtek XXX\ where the XXX is the name of hardware or software you have with computer (e.g. Realtek Bluetooth Headset, mic, etc...)

If you do happen to have something along these lines, look inside its folder for the .ini files and right-click on them and choose to open in Notepad so you can view their code. When viewing this look for a line of code like sync = 1

If set to 1 this can call the outlook API. You can replace the 1 with a 0 then save the change to disable a realtek product from syncing with the outlook api to see whether its that which is triggering the start of the app.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I did as you say for Safe PST backup and it made no difference.

Realtek audio product came on my HP pc. I don't use Bluetooth on the computer or a headset,etc. I rarely even use audio unless I turn it on for something on You Tube.

I have resigned myself to the fact that Outlook is opening all by itself at boot up. Doesn't do it if I restart pc though

Terri

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have resigned myself to the fact that Outlook is opening all by itself at boot up. Doesn't do it if I restart pc though

Terri

How puzzling! It only opens up when you do a full shutdown, then power on? But never when restarting?

You're not using sleep or hibernate at all are you?

Ask a Question