SOLVED Outlook problem after recent Windows 10 update

Reaction score
Outlook opens and looks ok, but when I click 'send/receive' a box comes saying operation failed. I have restarted Outlook and rebooted my machine but the problem persists. I also get a similar box when I click some of the items under 'File'. I am using Outlook 2003 (11.8330.8405) SP3. I use Acronis True Image for backup, but the most recent backup was last night, after the update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not really a reply, just further to the above. I do realise that post hoc is not necessarily propter hoc. I have another machine that I think has upgraded and outlook is working OK on that one. It is the one my wife usually uses and I do not want to use that one to receive my mail. Using my phone at the moment.

Reaction score
Could you do a screenshot of the full error message? I've put several older versions of Microsoft on Win10 computers, no problem yet with Windows updates or Upgrades. Oldest I have running is Office 2000.

Reaction score
Try this

Open the Control Panel - Its down in the Windows system folder, or you can type it in the search.
Double-click on "Mail"
Select "Data Files"
Click on "Personal Folders" then select "Set as Default", if not already selected, on the top bar
Restart Outlook,.
If you already have the profile selected as the default, then nothing will improve.

Reaction score
Could you do a screenshot of the full error message? I've put several older versions of Microsoft on Win10 computers, no problem yet with Windows updates or Upgrades. Oldest I have running is Office 2000.
The box that appears simply says 'The operation failed'. I have tried other headings and on trying to look under tools at 'e-mail accounts' I get a longer message - 'The operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If that fails, please reinstall.' I still have the original disc and may do that, but I was hoping to avoid that. I have copied separately the file Outlook.pst. When I looked at the properties for that file it says 'opens with - unknown application' However, I am able to look at my mail, search it and delete files, so it is being opened by Outlook. I just cannot get any new mail.

Reaction score
Try this

Open the Control Panel - Its down in the Windows system folder, or you can type it in the search.
Double-click on "Mail"
Select "Data Files"
Click on "Personal Folders" then select "Set as Default", if not already selected, on the top bar
Restart Outlook,.
If you already have the profile selected as the default, then nothing will improve.
I did as you suggested. Clicking (or double clicking) on 'Data Files' did nothing, nor does clicking on 'e-mail accounts...'. See also the information I gave in replying to Bighorn. Thanks to both of you for the help so far.

Reaction score
From you feedback, It really looks as though you have not set up a correct account?

Reaction score
From you feedback, It really looks as though you have not set up a correct account?
I have been using this Outlook for 10+ years without any problem, with my account being correct. If I try to open 'Accounts' I get the message above. I cannot change or alter my accounts from within Outlook, or through the Control Panel.

Reaction score
I used the original disc. Three options were given. I tried install, and that did not work. Then I took the second option, which I think was repair. That worked and all seems to be well now. A large e-mail download.

Ask a Question