PC Hangs and Full Power OFF/ON is only way out

Reaction score
HAve you considered getting a solid state hard drive for your operating system and keep the old one for data storage? They are pretty cheap now. Years ago I had a hard drive failing and went to get a new one. I found they have only big, standard hard drives for but for about the same price I could get a 250Gb solid state drive, so I did. Once I had that up and running and tested it out I went back and got 2 more for my desktop and other laptop.
They don't fix the sleep issue but you will boot a lot faster.

Reaction score
Another update: This hideous failure of Microsoft and Win 10 continues. No matter how you shut down - be it cia Sleep or via power down or vi autmatic preset amounts of time to shut down -- the result ends up the same. BLACK SCREEN ON THE LEFT AND BLUISH DARK GREY ON THE RIGHT. Finding some way to cause "Extend" of the display will get you out of it for that round. A young Computer Engg grad came up with a .bat job and inserted it where he thought it would have to execute each time the PC powered up. That seemed to work for a short time & he has not yet been back to give it another try. It no longer works.

Meanwhile I have confirmed:
1) that the problem is strictly when using 2 monitors -- never there with one monitor.
2) That dozens of other things will not bring it to normalcy with a few key strokes (for Ex: Win +P does not work. Nor does F5, nor do dozens of other things) ... Swapping monitor drive plugs on the back of the PC does not work. Powering off one of the monitors until the system comes up does not work (you have to have it unplugged, not just OFF.) On and On.

As far as I am concerned this is criminal commercial negligence on the part of MS to KNOW that this mess exists and not fix it !!!!!

Reaction score
Another update: This hideous failure of Microsoft and Win 10 continues. No matter how you shut down - be it cia Sleep or via power down or vi autmatic preset amounts of time to shut down -- the result ends up the same. BLACK SCREEN ON THE LEFT AND BLUISH DARK GREY ON THE RIGHT. Finding some way to cause "Extend" of the display will get you out of it for that round. A young Computer Engg grad came up with a .bat job and inserted it where he thought it would have to execute each time the PC powered up. That seemed to work for a short time & he has not yet been back to give it another try. It no longer works.

Meanwhile I have confirmed:
1) that the problem is strictly when using 2 monitors -- never there with one monitor.
2) That dozens of other things will not bring it to normalcy with a few key strokes (for Ex: Win +P does not work. Nor does F5, nor do dozens of other things) ... Swapping monitor drive plugs on the back of the PC does not work. Powering off one of the monitors until the system comes up does not work (you have to have it unplugged, not just OFF.) On and On.

As far as I am concerned this is criminal commercial negligence on the part of MS to KNOW that this mess exists and not fix it !!!!!
Made one more try at getting Help from MS. Pleasant surprise in the MS Support Chat. Takes forever to get in but once in very helpful. They had me delete the Display Adapter from the Device inventory and restart the machine which caused it to come back up in"two screen diseased mode" (left screen black, right one bluish gray) BUT by hitting Win-P that cleared quickly. The Chat guy said "Good" and then advised me to update to the 21H1 version of Win 10 saying that will fix the problem.

I did the download and am considering going to 21H1 BUT CONCERNED that (even if they don't charge $ which they may) that my scanner, printer, etc drivers will be hosed up and the upheval might be worse than the disease !! Anyone been thru the 21H1 update ?

Ask a Question