SOLVED 2004 update hangs at 41% during install

Reaction score
I have a i7 laptop (HP) which said it was ready for the latest 2004 Win 10 update which after downloading it froze during 41% of the install. This has put me off installing it on this and my PC's. What does any one suggest is the cause?

Any better way of installing it without causing a problem elsewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.Thank you.

Reaction score
How long did you wait at the stall point? I seem to recal that I had the same experience, but, eventually, it continued.

Reaction score
I recommend my clients run that bat as admin - the cleanup depends your ISO.
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:I:\iso\sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc
rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s

pause
exit

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice; Ive now successfully installed the update on my PC's and will give my laptoop another go.

Reaction score
You do remember that MS says any 3d party AV, must be removed, any 3d party Security and or Firewalll all will cause updates to fail.
anything that stops a such as MacriumReflect and Acronis can also stop due tp they have a No Tamper, and both need to be TURNED OFF.
The old Windows 7 restore/repair option was at 41%, and to fix that, remove the media, and do a reboot.

Reaction score
I have a i7 laptop (HP) which said it was ready for the latest 2004 Win 10 update which after downloading it froze during 41% of the install. This has put me off installing it on this and my PC's. What does any one suggest is the cause?

Any better way of installing it without causing a problem elsewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.Thank you.
Careful with 2004 . It trashed my audio, and video, Desktop background pictures, ...Gone, among other things
I had to revert back to the previous version. Also if you search it, it's a huge problem, recommendations say Don't update.

Reaction score
It is always best to have a restorable image, just in case, I have been testing 2004 since it was first released to testers, and have not had that many issues..

Reaction score
I am only a casual joiner of the insiðers. But, believe me, since the first retail release of Windows 10, I hsve only had really minor issues with Windows 10. And this on a six year old Dell

Reaction score
Yes, and I have found that mostly OEM versions have more isssues than Custom versions. it seems that most Custom are
INTEL inside. and all my clients have a USB with all default Drivers, so when Audio, WiFi, Ethernet, Display are fixed by insert the USB and reinstall Default Manufacture Drivers....

Ask a Question