SOLVED New Windows 2004 is available right now ! ! !

Reaction score
In my case, no visible improvements. It must be one of those "Under the hood" things. Lol. ;)

I haven't been into it yet. Installed yesterday, I a opted for the upgrade. I might have to go for a clean install, as, in a couple of cases, it was true to word and kept my old settings. Fine, but, one example, my right click on the menu now has 28 items, including duplicates from previous! procedure
One thing I noticed -Owner beware! - This may be common with major updates, but I have never noticed it before - When it gets to the end of the download and installing/upgrade procedure, it, as always, asks to restart. If you are not attending the process, after (I think) twenty minutes it automatically restores!!
Just to add. Fwiw. Mine was just over 4gbs (windows pro)
1590645168175.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would wait sometime to make sure this is a safe update and if soon another update will come to fix the possible issued of this one :D

Reaction score
Safe? The link is for a direct download from MS. But, at least where I am, it is coming now through normal updates. I have, in the past, updated two home computers via that route.

Reaction score
Safe? The link is for a direct download from MS. But, at least where I am, it is coming now through normal updates. I have, in the past, updated two home computers via that route.
By safe I meant reliable. I did not mean that the source is unsafe. Because the previous update crashed my Windows and I had to do a fresh install as I could not wait for MS to release a patch.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
In my case, no visible improvements. It must be one of those "Under the hood" things. Lol. ;)

I haven't been into it yet. Installed yesterday, I a opted for the upgrade. I might have to go for a clean install, as, in a couple of cases, it was true to word and kept my old settings. Fine, but, one example, my right click on the menu now has 28 items, including duplicates from previous! procedure
One thing I noticed -Owner beware! - This may be common with major updates, but I have never noticed it before - When it gets to the end of the download and installing/upgrade procedure, it, as always, asks to restart. If you are not attending the process, after (I think) twenty minutes it automatically restores!!
Just to add. Fwiw. Mine was just over 4gbs (windows pro)
View attachment 11781
Same thing I did....upgrade path.....just to see how that went. I just did a clean install a week ago. So my system was bare. No noticeable features that I can see. What I did notice was the the new Edge didn't install like is was claimed it would. However, when I clicked on the Edge icon....it went straight into update mode.....so I click yes and OK. and it installed. Maybe on a clean install it will be there. I will be doing that in about a week or so from now.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
OH...during the update process....at the very beginning, It will check your system hardware to see if you can run it or not. Hmmm.....where did I see that before. it said I passed and went for the upgrade. It took less than 15 minutes and I was up and running.

What did happen to me; only one thing. It knocked out my keyboard....Logitech G510 gaming. I was locked out of the login screen as my keyboard was dead. No lights on (its led). When I pressed a key it would light up for a fraction of a second. So I just moved the USB cable to another USB port and it was recognized immediately by the usual beep code and was able to start using it. That was my only mishap with the new 2004 OS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In my case, no visible improvements.
Their crowning achievement seems to be that they've upped their emoji game, so I expect future posts to become more entertaining.
The new (well semi-new) keyboard combination of Windows Logo Key + . (period) key provides a whole host of critters and characters to help us all appear more up to date and relevant.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I was terribly let down.....with all the hype, I thought it would be this fancy new OS. Boy was I wrong. Now to wait another 6 months.....oh well!

And I thought they would deploy the new chromium with this update. Mine didn't...I had to click on the old Edge icon and when I did that it went straight into download mode for it. I didn't have to go looking for it. It just downloaded. Again this was done on the udate now path from the website and not through the normal WU from the OS. Maybe a clean install will prove different.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was terribly let down.....with all the hype, I thought it would be this fancy new OS. Boy was I wrong.
You should probably, take a seat and pour yourself a Knob Creek or other such beverage of your choosing.
Generally Spring is Major and Fall is Minor, at least that seems to have been their routine as I understand it to be, so.....
This was the "fancy" one.
AND
I don't expect 20H2 to be anything all that more impressive.
Although, if it proves out to be stable and more free of buggy behavior, I'll take it.

I'm not sure what more they can do with the OS
I'm not even sure what I could generate in the way of a wish list of things I'd like to see in the way of "Features"
EXCEPT
For the integrated Mail program. They really jumped the shark there. Live Mail was far better, and Outlook Express was superb in comparison to this current abomination.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yep...I miss Outlook Express....even Live Mail wasn't so bad. But this mail app will do me just fine over the Office version. I did use at one time eM Client but they change it to the damn app style which I hate.

With this update....only bug I've found, which I need to report it, is when I download a piece of software (to my downloads folder) then installit. It leaves the desktop icon....some software you can unchecked the box to leave one....but most don't. So I like a clean desktop and I created a Icon folder in my documents folder and drag those desktop icons there.

Will the last 2 i've done.....shows a weird text type icon and I can't uninstll it, move it or delete it. I have to drag it back to the desktop and then delete it. If I move it again....it does the same thing.

Reaction score
Updated three computers to 2004 yesterday (all desktop) via the update option on the Microsoft website.

It took 2+ hours for each computer to be updated, (usually take 30 - 45 minutes).

After each was up dated, the problems started (a first for me as I have never had problems with feature updates previously)

All three computers were taking 5+ minutes to boot with 2004, under 1909 all booted in under a minute.

All three had lag/stalled responses once started

On two computers trying to run various programmes like Belarc adviser, Google Chrome, etc caused windows to lock up/stall/crash, with only pushing the computers power reset button resolving the issue...

Due to these and various other issues, I have rolled back all three computers to 1909, and will wait until 2004 is available via WU.

Reaction score
For those that installed the new Edge browser, if you don't want your passwords saved, you will need to check your browser settings as the default is "On". The same goes for login details to accounts!. ;)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
For those that installed the new Edge browser, if you don't want your passwords saved, you will need to check your browser settings as the default is "On". The same goes for login details to accounts!. ;)
Yep....found that out myself.....not sure I like it or not. I left it as is....we'll see.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Updated three computers to 2004 yesterday (all desktop) via the update option on the Microsoft website.

It took 2+ hours for each computer to be updated, (usually take 30 - 45 minutes).

After each was up dated, the problems started (a first for me as I have never had problems with feature updates previously)

All three computers were taking 5+ minutes to boot with 2004, under 1909 all booted in under a minute.

All three had lag/stalled responses once started

On two computers trying to run various programmes like Belarc adviser, Google Chrome, etc caused windows to lock up/stall/crash, with only pushing the computers power reset button resolving the issue...

Due to these and various other issues, I have rolled back all three computers to 1909, and will wait until 2004 is available via WU.

This is why most of us have test systems. But for us regular people, 1 machine is enough. That said, in your situation....I would have chosen only 1 machine to do the update and test it before going on with the other 2. But they say hind sight is 20/20.

I have only 2 PC, I purposely did a clean install of 1909 and just kept the bare essentials that I use on the PC. This install was about 5 days old when the word dropped that the update was on the ISO website. Again, I purposely chose the update now path, just to see what whould happen and how things went and if there were issues how would I resolve the problems. Minor issues that were easily fixed....that's directly due to the clean install of 1909. My update time from start to finish was under 20 minutes.....again due to the clean install.

Reaction score
I didnt time it, but I think my clean install took about the same time. Unfortunately, possibly due to the hardware of my test laptop, the updates - seven of them - took another 20.

Reaction score
There's a lot of documented bugs with this release, even according to Microsoft. I would advise not upgrading if it's your primary PC. I'd give it a month or so for Microsoft to iron out some of the bugs. That said, I haven't had any of these issues on my netbook. But I've deferred upgrades on my main PC's for 60 days (As I usually do), and I'll probably stick to that. Just my opinion.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Ask a Question