SOLVED New Windows 2004 is available right now ! ! !

Reaction score
Do you have Malwarebytes running? If so try disabling ransomware protection & upgrading to the latest Beta version, then restart the pc, then you can enable ransomware protection.
Here’s the list of bugs with 2004:

Reaction score
The only problem is that Build 2004 has a lot of issues. They need to patch it up for users to use it as a daily driver.
My themes went black from time to time.
And I would face audio issues as well as video issues.
I reverted back to the earlier version.
I will wait until they launch the patches.

Reaction score
A miracle has happened o_Oo_O. I finally got the 2004 offered through Windows Update on my Laptop at home (the daily driver SSD, not my Insider SSD).

Will see how that works out....

Reaction score
I tried updating two of my computers to 2004 again last Thursday, using the Malwarebytes 'work around' discussed in this and other threads...

One Via WU, and one with a MCT USB stick.

The updates took 2+ hours, but seemed to be successful. Both computers initially worked as expected...

However over the next 5 days, they had numerous problems as below:

Programmes/Apps not working. They just wouldn't start.

Windows error message Windows not responding on boot on the desktop, on both computers, having to boot 2 - 3 times to get Windows 2004 to run.

On one computer USB hardware no longer working. (works fine with 1909)

Note my Logitech wireless mouse and Logitech wireless keyboard connected via KVM hardware and USB worked fine.

Checking Device manager and forcing a USB driver update just said I had the most suitable/recent driver...

Google chrome stalling/freezing with waiting for cache message, had to reboot the computers to fix it.

Macrium Reflect stalling/freezing on start... Tried a repair of Macrium Reflect, seemed to fix it, for **one day**

Programmes/apps that run fine on 1909 getting memory access violations when starting on 2004..

Having to run Malware Bytes beta versions just to boot/run Windows 10 2004, seemed to work for the first two days then unable to open Malwarebytes from the Action Centre icon, Windows start menu, or from a desktop shortcut, even though Task Manager showed the Malwarebytes tray application was working.

I've rolled both computers back to 1909 again, and put Feature updates on a 30 day pause, to see if Microsoft releases any patches for 2004 before trying again.

Reaction score
Same thing I did....upgrade path.....just to see how that went. I just did a clean install a week ago. So my system was bare. No noticeable features that I can see. What I did notice was the the new Edge didn't install like is was claimed it would. However, when I clicked on the Edge icon....it went straight into update mode.....so I click yes and OK. and it installed. Maybe on a clean install it will be there. I will be doing that in about a week or so from now.

In my case I've noticed quite a bit of speed and response improvement from the 2004 update with my Win-10 Pro on an Acer Aspire V3-571G which has NVIDIA and Realtek components that all this nosnsence about NVIDIA and Realtek drivers have been spread around. The new version 2004 OS build: 19041.330 is an excelent upgrade and works 100%.

Reaction score
In my case I've noticed quite a bit of speed and response improvement from the 2004 update with my Win-10 Pro on an Acer Aspire V3-571G which has NVIDIA and Realtek components that all this nosnsence about NVIDIA and Realtek drivers have been spread around. The new version 2004 OS build: 19041.330 is an excelent upgrade and works 100%.

Just a quick question...

I've tried updating from 1909 to 2004 on two of my computers several times now, and have had to roll back to 1909 each time due to numerous problems when trying to run 2004.
When I use the WU and MCT usb stick option, the build I get is 19041.329.

Is the build 19041.330 an insider ring version?

Reaction score
Good question, MaxLV. I have not yet been offered it. I understand it is not available through normal updates.
You can, at your own risk, download and install it manually. This site, for example, gives the direct links:

Reaction score
On top of the MS bugs if anyone has Malwarebytes then this has a compatibility problem too which is causing slowdown of a users pc. Their suggestion is to turn off ransomware protection or download the Beta version.
Beta version does solve the problem for me.

Reaction score
I have the free malwarebytes, but NOT running at start up, which it defaults to on installation. I scan manually with it every couple of weeks. So far, I have not detected nay problems with its use. -- Just finished a scan, in fact.
Obviously, those complaining of a slowdown of the OS, must be running it resident. I would guess the slowdown would apply to all resident antivirus programs to some extent - they have to do there job!

Reaction score
On top of the MS bugs if anyone has Malwarebytes then this has a compatibility problem too which is causing slowdown of a users pc. Their suggestion is to turn off ransomware protection or download the Beta version.
Beta version does solve the problem for me.
It didn't for me...

I tried both options (together and separately) with no change to the problems I'm having with my 2004 installs on two computers.

However... I have an 11 year old Lenovo desktop workstation (an M58-7483 model) that I installed Windows 10 on. I tried doing a manual update of 1909 via the MCT on 28th May, and it had the same problems as the other two computers, so I rolled it back to 1909.

But on Monday 15th June WU showed 2004 was available to update this computer from 1909 to 2004. I decided to let WU do the update on the 17th, and that completed without any problems. This old computer with only a dual core Intel processor with only 4 GB ram, runs 2004 without any problem when updated by WU, and it also has Malwarebytes premium v4.1.0.56 installed and running without causing any problems.

Reaction score
I tried several times to install 2004 & every time things were OK until restart, I installed their Beta but problem remained so rolled back again.
I only had success after installing the Beta & turning off ransomware protection before installing 2004.
With a small number of users it seems they have to do both.
If this doesn’t speed things up then contact MalwareBytes to send them the logs so they can look into it further.

Reaction score
I tried several times to install 2004 & every time things were OK until restart, I installed their Beta but problem remained so rolled back again.
I only had success after installing the Beta & turning off ransomware protection before installing 2004.
With a small number of users it seems they have to do both.
If this doesn’t speed things up then contact MalwareBytes to send them the logs so they can look into it further.

A question...

After you had installed Malwarebytes beta with ransomware protection turned off, and installed 2004, did you turn the ransom protection back on again? Or do you have to leave it turned off?

How did you install 2004? Via MCT, WU, or a clean install.

My next step is to try a clean install, but I dont want to have to reinstall everything which will take days to do, as I've been updating my computers simply by using WU from Windows 7 up to Windows 10 1909 without the problems 2004 is causing...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, once 2004 was installed, I restarted the pc with ransomware protection still off to confirm it was this which was causing the slowdown. All was fine so I turned it back on & restarted again & it was still fine.
I installed via the media creation tool.
I imaged the drive before turning ransomware protection on in case things slowed down again.

Reaction score
So far on my daily driver laptop the 2004 runs without any problems. If I did not know I have it now, I would not know the difference in handling my daily tasks.

Reaction score
Just a quick question...

I've tried updating from 1909 to 2004 on two of my computers several times now, and have had to roll back to 1909 each time due to numerous problems when trying to run 2004.
When I use the WU and MCT usb stick option, the build I get is 19041.329.

Is the build 19041.330 an insider ring version?
The 19041.330 was the 2004 version updated with the upgrade tool, downloaded from the MS site, as I dont update versions through "Windows Update" which I suggest people do, who are having version update problems. As soon as I know that a version update is available, I just use the tool to update, simple as it always works and Ive never had any problems.

Ask a Question