PC LOCKED

Reaction score
I am TullY, AND THE OLDEST MEMBER AT 91 AND PROBABLY THE LONGEST MEMBER!
I WAS INTO COMPUTERS BEFORE THERE WAS COMPUTERS
I USE A PC WITH INSIDER, CAN'T TELL YOU VERSION BECAUSE I AM LOCKED OUT OF MY PC!

My problem is that I received the latest insider version and it said I would need 2 Passwords!!
Dumb me, not thinking right. I added a new password!

NOW I AM Locked Out!
Please help!

Reaction score
I am TullY, AND THE OLDEST MEMBER AT 91 AND PROBABLY THE LONGEST MEMBER!
I WAS INTO COMPUTERS BEFORE THERE WAS COMPUTERS
I USE A PC WITH INSIDER, CAN'T TELL YOU VERSION BECAUSE I AM LOCKED OUT OF MY PC!

My problem is that I received the latest insider version and it said I would need 2 Passwords!!
Dumb me, not thinking right. I added a new password!

NOW I AM Locked Out!
Please help!
Age 77 here, also Windows Insider, and i have never been told that I need a PASSWORD to install or update.
Not sure but I would attempt to boot to Windows PE (your Windows Media USB or DVD) them move thru to Command Prompt as admin,
then netplwiz and remove any and all passwords.
all pics removed not needed instructions are rather good (IMO)
trouble shoot --> advanced --> command prompt

- The command prompt screen will open, type : diskpart and hit Enter key

8- Type : list vol and hit Enter key (watch for spaces)

9- locate your Windows partition letter ( in our case here the letter will be C drive)

10- Type : Exit and hit Enter key.

11- Type: c: and hit Enter key (your Windows drive maybe different so change it accordingly to the drive letter you have)

12- Type: cd windows (watch for spaces ) and hit Enter key

13- Type: cd system32 (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key

14- Type: copy cmd.exe cmd.exe.original (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key.

15- Type: copy Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.original (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key.

16- Type: del Utilman.exe (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key.

17- Type: ren cmd.exe Utilman.exe (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key.

18- Type: Shutdown -r -t 00 (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key, the PC will restart.

19 – When you reach the Logon screen click on the Ease of Access Center icon on the left bottom side of the screen.

20 – The command prompt window will open

21- Type: net user (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key.

22- Type: net user Reboot.Pro * ( replace Reboot.Pro with the name you find in your pc) and hit Enter key

23- now type the new password you want and hit Enter key( when you type the cursor will not move and you will not see what you
type, so be carefull what you type, because you are typing blindly the new password)

24- confirm the new password when prompted and hit Enter key when done:

25- Type exit and hit the Enter key to close the command window.

26- Logon now to the locked account with the new password you just created.

27- After successfully unlocking your account and resetting the account password now you need to roll back the changes you
made to Utilman.exe and cmd.exe, so go ahead and boot your pc with the System Recovery CD or USB you made earlier in this
tutorial and repeat steps in # 6 so you open the command prompt window :

28- Type: c: and hit Enter key(your Windows drive maybe different so change it accordingly to the drive letter you have)

29- Type: cd windows (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key

30- Type: cd system32 (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key

31- Type: del Utilman.exe (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key

32- Type: ren Utilman.exe.original Utilman.exe (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key

33- Type: ren cmd.exe.original cmd.exe (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key

34- Type: shutdown -r -t 00 (watch for spaces) and hit Enter key to reboot your pc

35- Now when the pc reboots and reaches the logon screen, check to see if the Utilman is fixed and returned back to place by
clicking on its icon on the bottom left side of the screen, if the Ease of Access list pops up then you succeeded in your work.
Now you should be able to continue also no pass is needed if you want you can add later.

Ask a Question