SOLVED Just got the Computer is locked messages.

Reaction score
I was just hanging out with Edge on a Microsoft site and all of a sudden my system starts screaming about how it is locked and don't try to shut it down or restart.. and several popup windows which I could not close.

Stopping Edge with the Task Manager stopped all that so hopefully that is all it was. But I will be watching it for a while. Of course they added the comment about someone has compromised my account online and I need to do such and such to protect myself.

All I was doing at the time was playing Sudoku with Edge on the Microsoft forum site. I did not have Smart Screen enabled, so now I do. MalwareBytes is on the system but it did not react immediately or show anything during a scan.. As far as I can tell, nothing more I can do right now except let others know this is happening right now.

I have Process Explorer running in case the windows start popping up again .. :cool:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Haven't seen one of those for a while but I've seen my fair share, especially back when I was using IE.
Usually, if handled as you did they don't lead to anything else and are generally a product of a malformed (intentional or accidental) rogue Ad on a web page.

Reaction score
Could also be Ransomware. I usually just pull the cord from the power source [not do anything on the computer] and let set overnight, next bootup doesn't bring it back.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My personal experience with Ransomware is that....
Once you receive the notification, you're pretty much done for.

Reaction score
I don't think it is Ransomware since it never really locked the system. I understand that stuff takes over the screen and won't let you do anything. This was probably just an exploit designed to disorient so as to get the user to click on one of the options. I just don't remember clicking on anything that might have allowed it to start up on my system, but who knows what Edge will allow.

I understand there are some cities right now, being hit by actual ransomware. And I agree, if you get that, a reinstall is probably in your future.

Thanks..

Reaction score
My dad got firefox hijacked on Microsoft Games website a couple months ago. Same sort of popups, but set his homepage to one of those "your computer is infected" websites. I know it came from Microsofts site, because it was the only site he used firefox on.

Reaction score
It is hard to understand where some of these things come from. I have been surprised by audio starting on some sites when I did not do anything to start, someone who runs a website, like Trouble and Ian would probably understand this the best.

I did expect some type of trace left on my system so it could run without Edge, but so far, so good. What did they used to call these type of things, a BHO or something along those lines?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... BHOs or Browser Helper Objects were famously less than helpful and were often responsible for browser hijacks and assorted redirects, especially your homepage as Bigfeet mentions above.

Reaction score
I was just hanging out with Edge on a Microsoft site and all of a sudden my system starts screaming about how it is locked and don't try to shut it down or restart.. and several popup windows which I could not close.

Stopping Edge with the Task Manager stopped all that so hopefully that is all it was. But I will be watching it for a while. Of course they added the comment about someone has compromised my account online and I need to do such and such to protect myself.

All I was doing at the time was playing Sudoku with Edge on the Microsoft forum site. I did not have Smart Screen enabled, so now I do. MalwareBytes is on the system but it did not react immediately or show anything during a scan.. As far as I can tell, nothing more I can do right now except let others know this is happening right now.

I have Process Explorer running in case the windows start popping up again .. :cool:
This is a bit late, but this has happened to me. I tried restarting and the same screen poped up. The solution I found that worked, was to turn off my router, then restart the computer, and run Malwarebytes. I then turned the router back on and the problem was solved. It was some kind of persistant cookie, having the router off broke the connection. If memory serves, Malwarebytes labled it as a pup.

Reaction score
I get webpages doing the same thing, cannot back out or close that page, nor changing Tabs works.

So far Ctrl-Alt-Delete to Task Mgr and force close that Browser works. (fingers crossed it continues)
But I surmise that's old news.

Ask a Question