Look what I just got through Windows Update

Reaction score
Look what I just got through Windows Update on my Toshiba Satellite :

2019-06-20_183505.jpg

The weird thing is the same Laptop is running the Insider previews and "Skip ahead's" for years (it is my test machine) and I had never had any issues with it. The machine is currently running 1809.17763.592 .

Granted, the laptop originally came with Windows Vista (that's how old it is actually) ....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting, I've not seen a notice like that before. Out of interest, does it give any more information as to what is incompatible on the "learn more" link?

Reaction score
No, it doesn’t. I have been getting it lately. Interesting thing is that on one laptop, I had installed succesfully through rhe media creation tool. (Later removed it again)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a 15" HP laptop I bought in 2008 originally running Vista that I updated to Win 7, then Win 8, now Win 10. Last week it updated to 1903 on the second try. Still works like a charm, but helps that I replaced the original HD with a SSD a few years ago.

Reaction score
the [Learn more] button leads to this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

as I mentioned, the laptop has been running on 1903 already (through MCT fresh install) and 20H1 (preview release) as well without problems. I am not sure what is it that it stops WU from updating to 1903....
It might be a hardware issue though and if that is the case (since the laptop is made in 2008 so it has some age on it) I might update manually or leave it as is, I have not decided yet. My other laptop which is a year older and came with XP is running on 1803 as 1809 will not run due to hardware issues with the video card (that was another thread)....

Reaction score
I can't find th official statement (some time ago) but I remember MS saying that one of the ultimate's, with Windows 10, was backward compatibility within reason, for older software and hardware. I suspect that, when our gear is checked, and before the notice pops up, it finds older non- compatible hardware. A clean install will, of course, override that problem.
In the case of the laptop to which I referred in my previous post, it is my , rarely used these days, wifes computer. Now, theorising, she is still running an outdated version of Office. I am thinking that MS are , at worse, trying to make sure there own, old software, is compatible??

Reaction score
Updated (or better tried to update) to 1903, but when i landed in the update setting, i got the same message (desktop, not laptop in my case). Wondering what prevented the update, i first pressed the "learn more" button hoping that it would say why it could not update.
Well, i didn't, it just gave the overall issue overview.
Then i did a search on why my device (desktop) was not ready to receive the update. Up until now i didn't find anything.
(it's an i4770K with a GTX 1080ti videocard, 2 SSD's and a single HD)
The only "old" thing attached to it is a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS which needs a bit of workaround to get the drivers installed but this was also already the case with Win7.
If Win10 can decide that my device isn't ready to receive to update, it should also be possible to say why it isn't ready.
So where do i find the real reason why Win10 says my device is't ready?

Reaction score
"So where do i find the real reason why Win10 says my device is't ready?"

In a crystal ball, these days - me thinks

Reaction score
On my older laptop (running Windows 10 1803) I got a new message that I have not seen before (first time today after KB4023057 was installed):

2019-06-22_084548.jpg

I guess it was to be expected. The [Learn more] button leads to this:

This laptop has to work as long as it can and I sure will not replace it anytime soon ( the dual boot on this computer with Windows7 is running out of time either....)

BTW: I have set the feature update delay for 365 days and am not gonna update to 1809 or higher....

Reaction score
Interesting, I've not seen a notice like that before.
Ian, are you sure you haven't seen such a notice before. I saw it on 5 of my 6 installs. Of course it wasn't in that format but the words were the same.

After all, how many ways can you say "Don't call us, we'll call you"?

I ignored all those messages and installed anyway. It would drive me nuts thinking about waiting for Microsoft to follow up.

As far as why the message has been given, maybe there is a log file somewhere on the system which would help. If an external drive or an SD card was inserted, it might cause such a situation. But so can numerous other situations Microsoft has mentioned in the Known problem listings. I suppose the fact it doesn't try to install means it is some type of device situation, or maybe software.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I ignored all those messages and installed anyway. It would drive me nuts thinking about waiting for Microsoft to follow up.
AMEN.

Microsoft is saying. We have something that you'd like but you can't have it.
That way, when you go get it anyway, they are absolved of any responsibility for anything that ensues as they have warned you that your device is "not ready".

Ask a Question