PC turned to a black screen randomly, cannot get back into windows home...

Reaction score
New to the forum, so if I make a mistake in the presenation, please, I apologize in advance.
Yesturday (Thursday) I was playing Destiny 2 for most of the day, and nearing the night time, around 8pm, my computer (Not in game, on the internet) monitors went black, though there was the windows bar on my second monitor present, that was it. I restarted the computer from there, and was presented with the blue screen of death! This is one of, if not the only time I have been in this siutation where the blue screen of death was there, so I let the computer restart, though it did not restart, it merely turned off and did nothing. I turned the PC back on, and yet again, blue screen of death, same thing. I tried once more, hoping for change (Insanity?) and surprsingly there was, I was presented with something that gave me options, to restart or to go to advanced options. After about 2 hours of messing around, and finding that everytime I reset the computer either ran into a problem and will restart (Won't restart, will just turn off, nothing will happen even after 10 minutes or so, not just being impatient.) I finnaly decided I would rather just reset my PC, files and all, and re-download everything if it meant this would all go away, as my PC is something I hold dear to me, and would be petrified if it broke so unexpectaly (Or at all). I tried doing a reset, to keep files and reset, but after a few minutes of the process, my computer responded saying it ran into a problem, and no changes were made. I am currently writing this in school, and will not be home until tomorrow evening, so any suggestions on what to do would be just amazing. I do plan on trying windows Safe mode, and trying to scan the drives and such using the command prompt. I am not super experienced with these things, and am really nervous for what will happen. I would prefer if I were able to do something from the advanced options, maybe reinstall windows or defraggle some hard drive that would allow me to not have to take anything out of the computer, or input any USB thumbdrives. Any advice would be amazing!

Reaction score
Hi Erlith,

firstly, what version of Win 10 are you running?, you should be on version 1909 now!.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/ ;)
I don't know, as I cannot get into my computer ATM, as it doesn't work... When I turn on, goes to reboot, then shuts down, turn on again, and it will allow me to go to advanced options, but that is as far I have gotten, as most actions like a file reset are intrurpted and told that something went wrong and nothing could be comeplted. So unfortnaly I do not know what version of windows I am running. Though i have never gone and tried to uprgrade windows pruposely, so whatever would come with the default window updates? Sorry, this happened very suddenly, was just watching twitch and boom! Black screen.

Reaction score
Take the USB or DVD as you might use that you can repair install with...
1. Insert USB or DVD - then restart

Step 2: When the install screen pops up, look to the bottom left and select "Repair Your Computer".

Step 3: You will now see a screen that says "Choose an option". Select "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced Options", and finally "Command Prompt".

Step 4: Type "chkdsk /r C:" (Without quotes)

Step 5: The scan should start.

Step 6: Once the scan is done, type "exit" (without quotes).

Step 7: Reboot
if this fails then do
step 1,
step 2 would now be move to command prompt
step 3 type rstrui.exe /offline:C:\windows "enter"
this looks for the last known good bootable restore point and reset to that point.

Reaction score
Further to what @Snuffy said, you can also reset the PC from the advanced menu, make sure you have all your files backed up, it should give you the option to keep your files but hardly ever the apps!.

You can quickly install a bunch of apps by going here:

https://ninite.com/ :)

Reaction score
Never contributed before. Hope this is how to do it.
The other day I must have hit a bad key because suddenly I was looking at a totally black, totally empty screen. I wasted a good amount of time before I stumbled on the answer. Here, in the hope of saving some other poor soul a good deal of aggravation is the answer to MY problem.

It turns out that my screen is, and should be, by my choice years and years ago, BLACK. So it had not turned black. All that happened was I accidentally called up a little menu that offers a number of choices. The first choice is "view". So, here's what you do: 1. point to screen and right click. Menu appears. 2. click on first choice which is "view". Another little menu appears. This is the one that lets you choose screen icon size and a number of other things. However, the last choice on this menu is "show desktop icons". 3. So, as step 3 click on last choice on this menu:. I did that and like magic I suddenly had a screen FULL of icons .... and all of them on a black background.

Whew!

Ask a Question