SOLVED PDF reader/editor off-line

Reaction score
I know this subject was discussed in 2017, but things have changed, After much research I find that I am need of help. I'm trying to find a alternative to Adobe Reader. I had problems with my computer and working with Microsoft they reinstalled my operating system. I lost all such programs like Adobe Reader. It was the free off-line version.

I'm now looking to fine a replacement. It has to be free, I don't have the money to pay for a subscription. The attributes I'm looking for are:
  • Free
  • off-line, i.e. no cloud involvement. I am very security conscious and want my information to stay on my machine.
  • Draw a straight line. With Adobe you held down the shift or Ctrl key while drawing the line.
  • Highlight in a straight line. Again, with Adobe you held down the shift or Ctrl key while highlighting.
  • Call out boxes.
  • Text boxes.
  • Pop-up note tags.
This sounds like a lot, but its really it is quite basic.

I have been searching for a weeks now and I can't find anything that fits what I need. I read a lot of debate in the Windows 10 Forum but found nothing definitive.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thank you,

Neinstein

Reaction score
I had to get Adobe Acrobat over 20 years ago for a project that did gain sufficient funds for me to buy it, hasn't gotten much cheaper, am still able to use Version 8 on Win10. Downside to Adobe Acrobat Reader is that is just what it is, a Reader, not intended for editing. Historically, PDF files came about 'way back' in that they could be used for documents such as contracts, company policies, etc., when far-flung offices used different programs and the documents could be sent to all for reading but not editing. Providing the free Reader to the offices gave them that but they couldn't change anything, every one saw the same thing.

I have a couple other PDF programs, came as part of another program, one is Lightning PDF and the other is Fusion PDF, there are some online but haven't used them. Might check www.majorgeeks.com and their Office section for more choices. Maybe the free LibreOffice Writer can help with its Export as PDF feature.

Reaction score
Bighorn,

Thank you for the information and suggestions. I will try some your suggestions and see what I can find.

Neinstein

Reaction score
I have been distracted and will have to continue my search at a later time. Let's mark this as solved. I thank everyone for their help.

Ask a Question