SOLVED Adobe Reader was unable to become your default PDF application in windows 10

Reaction score
I read a lot of stuff on the internet and it seemed the prevailing solution for this problem is to go into Settings/System/Default Apps and then set the default according to the file extension.

Been there, done that, at least 5 times. And it still opens with Edge and changes the default back to Edge. Microsoft doesn't want you controlling anything, do they?

How do I change this and make Adobe Reader the default, once and for all?

Reaction score
Right click on a pdf file, roll over "open with", click "choose another app", check the box that says "always use this app to open pdf files", select adobe reader, click ok. That should work, provided the adobe reader shows up in the list of apps.

Reaction score
This worked!! Yay!!!!!!!!! However, I would like to add one additional thing to it. When you follow the instructions above, the document will open but you will still get the message asking if you want to make Adobe Reader your default. If you say yes, the document will open with Adobe but it will give you the same message you got before saying it couldn't make Adobe the default and it resets the default back to Edge. Before you shoot your computer, a frequent temptation for me since working with Windows 10, re-open the document using Bigfeet's instructions, and after the document opens and when the message pops up, check the Don't show this message again and cancel out of it. At least that worked for me and now my documents open with Adobe. YMMV.

Ask a Question