Can't Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Reaction score
I've been using Acrobat Reader since upgrading to Windows when it was released in August. This morning I attempted download a PDF file, but was told that the file "couldn't be downloaded". I assumed my copy of Acrobat Reader had become corrupted, so uninstalled it. I then attempted to download and reinstall Acrobat Reader, only to get the following message, "readerdc_en_fb_install.exe couldn't be downloaded". Assuming that Edge may be the problem, I attempted download and install Chrome. But this also resulted in the same message that I received with Acrobat.

I have downloaded and installed all Windows 10 updates through those released yesterday (Friday, 12/4/2015). I have changed nothing with Windows Firewall or Internet Options since originally installing Windows 10 in August.

To make things more confusing, I installed Acrobat Reader in an Acer Aspire V3 laptop this morning, which also is up to date with Win10. Then I successfully downloaded the original PDF file that I referred to above. Therefore I assume something may have become corrupted in my desktop, an HP Pavilion HP8-1234, during the one of the recent Windows 10 updates.

I'd appreciate any help in this matter, because I don't have a clue where to start looking. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Which browser are you using to download with.
Have you tried Internet Explorer? Have you tried resetting Internet Explorer to factory settings?
Have you tried an alternate third party browser such as Firefox or Chrome?

Bif

Reaction score
Foxit reader is a great free alternative to Adobe reader if all other suggestions fail to get it working.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
get the following message, "readerdc_en_fb_install.exe couldn't be downloaded". Assuming that Edge may be the problem, I attempted download and install Chrome. But this also resulted in the same message that I received with Acrobat.
It would seem that the OP can't download much of anything successfully.
Hopefully switching to IE and resetting it to factory settings may help.
I was hoping that perhaps Chrome and or Firefox was already installed but apparently not.

Reaction score
It would seem that the OP can't download much of anything successfully.
Hopefully switching to IE and resetting it to factory settings may help.
I was hoping that perhaps Chrome and or Firefox was already installed but apparently not.

Hi Trouble, Thanks. I will try activating IE-11, assuming its executable image is still resident. If it is not, perhaps Win10/Edge will allow it to be downloaded and installed. Though that'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. I'm wondering if an IE-11 executable image may be in a sub-folder of Windows.old...worth a look.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IE 11 is native to Windows 10.
Start Button -> All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble. IE11 allowed me to download and install Acrobat Reader. I now will troubleshoot why .pdf files will download completely using IE11, but will only do a partial download using Edge.

I assume IE11 uses different Internet Options/Advanced settings than Edge, but have no clue which one(s) might control .pdf file downloads. Do you have any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have any ideas?
Honestly....
I rarely use Edge as a browser option at all, I'm going to give it some time and wait till it grows up into a real, full featured, robust browser and give it another try.
I hear there are somethings coming for it wrapped in "Redstone" (sometime this summer).
It already has some pretty cool features but it's missing some extensions and doesn't support some plugins that I enjoy, so I find it a little too boutique-ish

Reaction score
I followed the thread with interest. You probably know that Edge is, incongruously, the default PDF reader in windows 10. (God and MS move in mysterious ways).
But, I tried the download of Acrobat with Edge, and it downloaded without problems??

Bif

Reaction score
I followed the thread with interest. You probably know that Edge is, incongruously, the default PDF reader in windows 10. (God and MS move in mysterious ways).
But, I tried the download of Acrobat with Edge, and it downloaded without problems??
Ive tried the same as Dave did and it downloaded fine in Edge..I apologize that I'm tapped out for possible solutions...

Reaction score
I've just compared Edge Settings and Control Panel/Internet Options on two computers, an Acer Aspire laptop and an HP Pavilion desktop which has the .pdf problem. Confirmed that Settings and IO are identical on both machines. The Acer downloads .pdf using Edge with no problems. However the HP will not download the same files with Edge, but has no problem with IE-11. So I assume there are other settings that are hidden from us mortals, probably in Registry, that are causing the problem for Edge on the HP. BTW, I've run CCleaner and Defender Full Scan on the HP with No Joy. Are there other more robust clean-up and/or repair tools that I might use...preferably free, but relatively inexpensive would be OK if it solves the problem. Thanks

Reaction score
You are aware that Edge has a settings item?
I have just had a quick look through mine. Onlyitems there which could affect this problem are
1. Use Adobe Flash Player. Which I have "ON"
2.Send "Do not Track Requests." Which I have "OFF"
and
3. Do not block cookies

Reaction score
Yes Dave, thanks. Both computers have identical settings, both in Edge/Settings and Control Panel/Internet Options. I did some more analysis last night and found that .pdf file downloads are terminated before completion on the HP. However the identical files always complete downloading on the Acer. To assure identical conditions, I go to the same sites and download the same files at nearly the same time with each computer. (The two computers are sitting side-by-side on the desk.) There appears to be one or more control settings in the HP that is terminating .pdf downloads before completion. Just that I don't know where to look for these controls.

Ask a Question