SOLVED Can't Enter Text On To Downloaded Pdf Tax Form

Reaction score
I just downloaded my 2015 1040a form, clicked on the icon and the page appeared on my computer screen. However, I'm unable to enter any text. When I click on a box there is a arrow...no cursor. Anybody have any idea what is causing this to happen? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have either
FoxIt Reader https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/
OR
Adobe Reader https://get.adobe.com/reader/ (uncheck all the Google nonsense before installing)
Installed on your computer and have you set one or the other as the default PDF handler.
Unfortunately by default, Windows 10 wants to use Edge as the default PDF handler and it may be insufficient for what you need to do.

Reaction score
Installed Acrobat reader, downloaded 1040a again, clicked on Acrobat Reader, the form appeared, but I still can't enter text.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When "the form appeared", did it appear in Acrobat Reader or still in EDGE?
Can you provide a link to the form you are working with so we can try it and see if we experience the same issue(s)?

Reaction score
Well...I installed Acrobat Reader and was able to enter text...problem is, now there's all this promo junk on either side of the document hiding the edges. Thought I had it too...also got McAffe Security Scan in the bargain and having trouble uninstalling it. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
OKAY...My lovely wife was looking at all the junk and said, "uh, what are those little things", pointing to some < > things on each margin. Of course, when I clicked on the little > thingys, the "junk" in the margin (ads, etc.) disappeared. I'm now able to do my taxes and give Uncle Sam some money...God knows he needs it! I read up on the McAffe Security Scan Plus and found out that it's more of a nuisance than anything else. I'd like to get rid of it, but it's not even on the list of installed programs...just sits on the desktop. If anyone can help me get rid of it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your assistance. BTW, do I get an e-mail any time there's a reply?

Reaction score
Thanks, so much for your help. My issues are resolved for now...was able to uninstall Mcaffe without the uninstaller. I went to start> system> Programs and Features...scrolled down to McAffe, the dirty little coward, and Zapped him. He went kicking and screaming about how my computer is in mortal danger, etc., but was successfully uninstalled. I believe that MBAM and Windows Defender are sufficient to keep my computer safe. Thanks again for your help. You can mark this issue as resolved, but I'm sure I'll have more in the future...new to win10.

Ask a Question