Can't download in Windows 10 Pro

Reaction score
Hello-- Please bear with me as I'm new here and also older and not computer savvy... Ok- I purchased a HP Zbook from a Microsoft Reseller and everything is great EXCEPT that I cannot download ANYTHING other than stuff in the Windows store. I HATE Edge and Windows 10 as I was used to Win 7 for years. I've disabled Windows Defender as it's the only virus program. And it took me forever to download Chrome (as much as I dislike it) because it was the only browser I could find in the store..

AND I've tried 4-5 times to download a download manager recommended by Cordana and all it keeps saying when I click on the open link is cannot open this file.. AND I've tired 7-8 times to download Bitdefender and this is what opens in a pop up.. How do you want to open this file? And then these choices.. Internet Explorer or Microsoft Malware protection command line utility or notepad or paint or Windows Media player or wordpad or "Look for another app" ??? This makes NO sense to me. I used to download apps/software all the time in Windows 7 and BOOM there's the install popup and instructions. I can't even use Bitdefender? I've read that Windows Defender suite is junk and that scares me. WHY is it so hard to download anything in Windows 10? And HOW do I know how to finish setting up Windows in the first place? Do I need to re-install 10 with the key code that's on the bottom of my laptop? Geesh I hate being older and not so knowledgeable. THANK YOU all for any HELP I can get.

Reaction score
You shouldn't be having difficulties downloading. If you just bought the HP Z Book surely there must be some kind of warranty. I would advise you to contact the vendor and explain the difficulties your having.

Reaction score
Waiting on an answer from the vendor. I did change the activation key to match the one on the laptop. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

Reaction score
Not too sure about the issues you're having, However, if you'll download a copy of Classic Shell, it will solve your issue of having to deal with the Windows 10 user interface and its free.
Normally if your notebook did not come with Windows 10 Pro installed, you would purchase the pro update from the windows store and follow directions to upgrade and activate. You should not have to input any product Key regardless or change any activation Key that will all happen automatically from the MS activation servers.

Reaction score
Did this thing come with Windows 10 S by any chance rather than Pro. That might explain a lot. I believe that you can change the S version to the regular Home version. That thing about only being able to download from the Windows Store is a clue..

Another possibility is that your network connection is set up as Public not Private.

The Windows defender suite is very competent nowadays...lots of people on this forum rely on it now.

Reaction score
The HP Zbooks are loaded with HP security features for file protection. That could possibly be causing a download issue.

Ask a Question