SOLVED Can't download from Win Store

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am not able to install apps from the Store.
I looked at my "Downloads and Updates"
There are 31 queued downloads which have failed to download to me, all bar 3 are paused.
Tried deleting them, all but 3 went, but still didn't download.
Might be related, I've been having the Group Policy problem, have to Restore often.

Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Muck,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you open the Store App try the following:
  • Left-click on the Account Icon which is at top of window just to left of Search box
  • Left-click your Username
  • This opens the Account window. Here left-click your Username then left-click Sign out
  • Now back at main Store window again left-click the Account icon
  • Left-click on Sign in
  • This opens the Select a user account window. Left-click your username then when prompted enter your password.

At this point see whether you can now download an app.

If you still cannot download an app then close the Store.

With the Store closed, in your Search / Cortana box type wsreset

Next right-click on the wsreset Run Command which appears at top of search results, and choose Run as administrator

A User Account Control alert will appear. Click Yes

At this point a small black console will open with a flashing cursor. You will see nothing other than this for the next 1 - 2 minutes. When the reset is completed the console will automatically close, and the Store will automatically reopen.

Now try again to download an app.

Report back on progress. i.e. can you now download apps, or does the issue continue to exist?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thankyou for your reply,

result is - just the same. New apps are just queued up, it says Starting Download, but nothing happens.

I have actually tried this before, even with Shutdowns and Resets in between. I have tried everything I can find on forums and Youtube and even MS, but nothing seems to work.

Am also having trouble with Windows Update, they queue too. Windows Update - Details list three "Waiting for install." Up until last night when I turned Fast Startup off, I wasn't getting anything, just failed ones. Now I have a queue of three ready to download, but, again, nothing happens.
[the Fast Startup was for the Group Policy problem fix]

I have a Lenovo Yoga, Win10, 8Mb modem unlimited d/l. I don't have any problems d/l'ing anything else.

Thanks again,
Muck.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Muck,

If the Windows Updates are also queuing then its possible one of the downloaded updates has corrupted or became corrupted while attempting to install. These updates sit inside the SoftwareDistribution folder located at C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. The Registry also marks pending actions.

Sometimes simply shutting down completely, then restarting several times will jog these pending actions into gear and things will resolve themselves. But failing that another way to resolve this is to remove the folder completely and allow Windows to re-create it on your next restart which will clear the block and in theory allow Windows Update to start working normally again; which in turn may have a flow on affect for Windows Store as the Windows Update Service and Windows Store are connected.

If you want to try removing the folder you can do the following:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type services.msc then click OK
  • In the Services window scroll down the Name column and locate Windows Update
  • Right-click on Windows Update and select Stop

Note: If there is no option to Stop this means the service all ready is stopped and that is what you want.

• You can now close the Services window.
  • Next, open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows
  • Inside the Windows folder scroll down and right-click on the SoftwareDistribution folder.
    • Having right-clicked this folder you have two choices.
    • You can either select Delete which deletes the folder and all its content, or
    • You can select Rename and then rename to SoftwareDistribution.old

Either option is fine. When you restart computer Windows will create a new SoftwareDistribution folder.

• Close File Explorer and shut down computer.
  • Restart Computer and run your Windows Update via Start > Settings > Updates & security

If that is now working fine install any updates then once the system has restarted if that is necessary, see how the Windows Store is going.
Report back on any progress.

Reaction score
Thanks Reg,
That may hit the spot, there are 11 failed updates, all the same, stalled in the Details bit of Updates.
No time to do that now, going out to a party.
Will certainly try tomorrow.
Again, thanks,
muck.

Reaction score
Again, thanks for the time.
First option - "cannot stop in a timely manner" so status is left at Stopping
Second option - won't let me do either, under control of another program - so I'll Restart and try again.
Try again soon. Party time.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Muck,

If the Windows Update Services is refusing to stop you can do the deleting or renaming of SoftwareDistribution folder in Safe Mode instead as you will not need to stop the Windows Update Service there because it will not be running in Safe Mode.

To get to Safe Mode:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • In the System Configuration window that opens select Boot tab then check Safe boot and Minimal then click OK

Sample Image

sysc.png

After clicking OK you will see this window:

sysc2.png

Click Exit without restart

Close
    any open programs

Shutdown computer, then restart it. It will boot to Safe Mode

Now just open File Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows and right-click SoftwareDistribution folder and either rename or delete.

Once done, close File Explorer and repeat above steps to open System Configuration window. When back there, return to the Boot tab and remove check next to Safe boot then click OK so your computer can restart and boot to normal mode.

Reaction score
Hi Reg,
Yeah!! It worked!! Did the Safe Mode thing, renamed the folder, Restarted and it found Updates and started to download them.
After that I checked the store and downloads were already underway.
Fantastic.
Guess I should do create a system restore point now.
Thanks for your clear, concise, diagrammed solution(s.) You made it very easy.
Muck.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Muck,

Thanks for the update. Glad it all worked out fine for you.

Yes, definitely make a Restore Point now as that will save having to download 11 updates and all those apps again if something else goes wrong.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Morning,
It came back again.
It took a hell of a long time to shutdown yesterday, then when I started it, it wouldn't load Chrome. Also Updates and Store downloads were stalled. So I Restored, but the downloads/updates are still not going.
I'm trying the Safe Mode etc from above again. Let you know if it works.

Reaction score
Hmmmm,
Did the above trick, then downloads started again. I got the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607" installed successfully.
Maybe I Shutdown halfway through that when it was downloading before. Wish they'd say a d/l was going on.
Anyway, all good now, for the timebeing???
Thanks again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Nice one Muck.

The Feature download is a whopper file size wise, so it can be troublesome if you lose connection or as you say turn off computer during the process.

Oh by the way since the Anniversary Update there has been a couple of cumulative updates, so you might want to check for updates to make sure you really are fully up to date.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but, as they say - If it ain't broken etc
I think I'll leave it while it's working.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank goodness you did ignore that Muck.

That response I have now deleted was for an entirely different thread. Somehow it posted in your thread.

Sorry for the confusion - I'll let Ian know to check there is not a software glitch in our Forum.

Ask a Question