Downloaded Win 10. Now I can't use Firefox or IE11.

Reaction score
I downloaded Win 10 yesterday. Now when I put something in the search bar in Firefox or IE nothing happens. The 1st tab in Firefox continues to say New tab and does not change to what I searched for. IE states this page cannot be displayed. When I click on one of my favorites in either browser nothing happens. If I click on something in the menu bar it works. However, I cannot use either browser if the search bar does not do anything. I did download Firefox again but that didn't help. I tried changing my default search bar to Firefox but that didn't help either. Can anyone help me?

Also, is there any way to get the menu bar back in Edge?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't help you with Firefox but maybe try launching ie without extensions.
Windows logo key + R key and type
iexplore.exe -extoff
Type something into the URL address bar or just launch a new tab and go to https://google.com
You reference "the search bar" in your post. IE currently supports searching from the URL Address Bar. Some third party addons toolbars, searchbars and the like may be your issue (conduit, google, etc.)

Reaction score
Can't help you with Firefox but maybe try launching ie without extensions.
Windows logo key + R key and type
iexplore.exe -extoff
Type something into the URL address bar or just launch a new tab and go to https://google.com
You reference "the search bar" in your post. IE currently supports searching from the URL Address Bar. Some third party addons toolbars, searchbars and the like may be your issue (conduit, google, etc.)

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Trouble. I tried doing what you said in both IE and Firefox. When I put the Https://google.com in the IE search bar I got the message This page can't be displayed. When I put it in Firefox the first tab, which stated New tab, did a quick on and off and stayed at New tab. Nothing else happened. I tried them both without extensions. Thanks again for trying. If anyone can come up with a fix for this I would appreciate it. Edge is OK but I want to be able to use Firefox and IE as well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you launched IE with extensions off did your page look like this??

IEsafe.JPG

When you opened a new tab.... what happened?
Double check your LAN Settings button and make sure that you are not using any proxy server settings.

Also you might try (with IE closed) going to Control Panel, Internet Options and reset IE back to factory settings.

Reaction score
When you launched IE with extensions off did your page look like this??

View attachment 671

When you opened a new tab.... what happened?
Double check your LAN Settings button and make sure that you are not using any proxy server settings.

Also you might try (with IE closed) going to Control Panel, Internet Options and reset IE back to factory settings.

A message did come up in IE similar to your attachment. When I typed http://google.com in the search bar a new tab came up stating this page cannot be displayed. Also this same message came up below. I did check the LAN settings and I am not using any proxy server settings. I don't understand the LAN settings but I see that I am not using any. I did check under Internet Options security setting, which were the only ones I could set to default. and they were already set to default. Thanks again for continuing to try to help me.

Reaction score
OK that worked, except how do I get back my menu bar and favorites bar. All I have is one search bar at the top of the page. It was nice to see my search bar working again. Thanks much. Now please help me get my menu and favorites bars back and I will try to do the same thing in Firefox.

Reaction score
I found out how to get back my favorites and menu bar. I don't see any way to import my favorites from Firefox since the ones I had in IE are gone. I really appreciate you helping me. I am going to try to fix Firefox now, but if I can't I will be OK with using IE and Edge. I don't like using Edge as much since there is no menu bar there and I use the menu bar a lot, so if I can't fix Firefox using the info you gave me for IE that will be OK too. Thanks so much for all your help. I will let you know if I can get Firefox fixed. Thanks again. I would never have thought of doing the things you told me to do to fix my problem. I really appreciate all your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the ones I had in IE are gone
Double check your Windows.OLD folder and see if there is a Users\YourUserName\ folder and check there for favorites.
There may be remnants of your IE Favorites there.

Reaction score
I couldn't find windows.oldfolder but that is OK. I am quite happy that I have IE working again. I could not fix Firefox so I think tomorrow I will delete it and redownload it to see if that helps. I did download it again earlier today but that did not help. This time I will try deleting it first then downloading it again. If I have any luck with Firefox or my IE favorites tomorrow I will let you know. Thanks so much again for helping me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Uninstall it and rename your firefox profile folder to something like else.
You should find it in your C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
It'll have some weird name like atfy1qqh.default
Also check C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\95lpidx6.default
That's where your bookmarks and stuff is stored.
Or maybe after you uninstall the application you could just rename the whole Mozilla folder in both locations to MozillaSAVE
Afterwards you can always go back and delete them.

Reaction score
I used Revo Uninstaller to delete Firefox. There were a lot of files left over from Firefox's uninstall so I had Revo Uninstaller delete them all and it worked. I now have my Firefox and IE back.

Thanks so very much for all your help. I couldn't have done it without you.

I don't mean to be a pest but do you know of any way I can get my menu bar back in Edge. They have some of the menu items on the right side of the screen but they are nowhere as complete as the menu bar is.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what you are calling a "menu bar", there is no actual menu bar in edge, but.....
If you are talking about the favorites bar then you just have to turn it on. For some reason it is off by default.
In edge, the three dot ellipsis top right corner and select settings, top option Show the favorites bar, slide it to on.

Reaction score
The menu bar in IE and Firefox is the bar that has File, Edit, Favorites, Tools, Help. Firefox's menu bar has File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help. You can click on any of these to get lots of options. I do have the favorites bar on but those settings under the three dot ellipsis have very few options of things you can do compared to the menu bar. I assume Edge has no menu bar. Sometimes when new stuff comes out without something you had before people find a way to get that thing back. Maybe after Edge is out for a while someone will figure out how to get a menu bar for Edge. Anyway, I am happy that I now have both IE and Firefox working, and there is a menu bar in each browser, so I will use Edge the least.

Thanks again for all your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I assume Edge has no menu bar
I believe that is correct.
Generally in Windows if the menu bar is not showing, tapping the Alt key will temporarily produce it.
I have not found a way to produce a menu bar in Edge and I would suspect that, since it is a "trusted Universal App" rather than a more typical Win32 app like IE and FF, it won't ever have one.
Just like most if not all of the other Universal Apps (photos, music, weather, mail, people, calendar, etc., etc.).

Reaction score
That is totally sad. Well, if you ever find a way to get a menu app please let me know. Til then, thanks again for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

Ask a Question