How can I convert a JPEG image into a PDF that has searchable text?

Reaction score
Hello

Is there any free/dirt-cheap way to create a PDF out of a JPEG that has had OCR done on it, so that the text is searchable?

BACKGROUND
My supplier sometimes can only supply their VAT invoices in JPEG format, rather than in PDF format. I have new-ish Epson Workforce WF-7840 printer and sometimes the "Epson SmartScan" software utility that comes with it does manage to do OCR on printouts, but sometime it fails. Either way being compelled to print out a JPEG image in order to make the text searchable is a huge waste of ink, paper & money!

What are my alternatives?

J

EDIT: To answer my own question... (!) the free online utility www.pdf2go.com has just done a good job. This is fine if you don't value your own privacy, which most of the time I do.

So if there is a PRIVATE way to achieve this,I would love to know how.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner). It scans pics and documents and converts them to pdf. But you can also import your own pic files (what I need it to do). It has a bunch of other features I don't use including OCR. It's free and open source.

https://www.naps2.com/

Ask a Question