How to convert MP4 to MP3

Reaction score
I am running a program the doesn't like MP4. :( What is the best way to convert MP4 to MP3 audio files. I am running Win 10 64-bit.

Regedit32

Reaction score
MP4s contain video and audio content.

MP3s contain audio content only.

If you convert an MP4 to MP3 you will only have an audio file.

That said, if you are happy to do this then:
  • Click on Start and scroll down and open Windows Accessories folder
  • Inside the Windows Accessories folder you'll find Windows Media Player. Open it.
  • With Windows Media Player open, press Ctrl + O and select the mp4 file to open
  • Now press Alt and select File > Save as and change filename.mp4 to filename.mp3 and save it

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32, You gave clear concise instructs but when press Alt and select File the option Save as is not accessible. What do you think is causing Windows Media Player to deny me the satisfaction of following your instructions and converting an MP4 audio file to MP3?

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32,

Windows Media Player was in Windows Accessories but not listed as an application in my Apps Directory I found it by using File Explorer
in C:/Program Files (X86). I click on Properties and noticed it is Not Shared. I thought may be that's why I can't access the Save As function so I tried to change it to Shareable. I was told I didn't have permission to make the change so I decided to delete it. I couldn't do that either.
Life was much simpler in 1952.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Two things to consider:
  1. The original file is located already on your Computer.

If this is the case, the Save as function is by default disabled.

2. Microsoft disabled the Save as method to prevent piracy of commercial video/music.

If the files you are trying to convert are not your own work then you will not be able to use the method I mentioned.

What player had you found was unable to open MP4 files and play in the first place? Microsoft provide codecs to install for their Windows Media Player, and third party applications like VLC when installed include most codecs needed to open most file formats.

VLC can be downloaded here:

Or, expand mp4 video file on this Microsoft site to get information on where to get this from:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/316992/file-types-supported-by-windows-media-player

Reaction score
I created the MP4 file with a Livescribe, Echo smartpen. I would like to convert the file to MP3 format so I can embed it in a tutorial I am making with Cerego Authoring Tool. What I am doing has nothing to do with commercial software. How can I enable the Save function.

Reaction score
MP4a file format is supported by Windows. If Sharing were enable in Windows Media Player the conversion would work wouldn't it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Unless you can find a very early version of Windows Media Player (e.g. Windows Media Player 9) you will not be able to avoid Microsoft's change to the Save as function.

Have you considered opening your creations up in your Livescribe software and exporting them as .wav files instead of mp4?

Reaction score
Format Factory will convert just about any video file to a different video file (like mp4 to avi, or mpeg, or mkv) or video to audio (mp4 to mp3, or wav, or ogg). Now I have a very old version of format factory (3.01). I cant't speak of any newer version. Maybe something to research though.

Reaction score
Have you considered opening your creations up in your Livescribe software and exporting them as .wav files instead of mp4?
Livescribe does not provide for file conversion. It simply lets you export from their software to computer folder.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am running a program the doesn't like MP4. :( What is the best way to convert MP4 to MP3 audio files. I am running Win 10 64-bit.
First I want to admit that I have considerably less experience with these types of things than other members, some of which have provided options above, but....
I just grabbed an .mp4 file that I have on my computer and copied it to my desktop so as not to mess with the original.
I then just right clicked the copy and chose from the context menu to "rename". I chose to leave the name the same but changed the file extension from .mp4 to .mp3 and when prompted answered in the affirmative.
That action produced / preserved the audio from the .mp4 file and of course omitted the video.
I'm not sure this will provide what you are looking for as there was no actual "conversion" in the process and as a consequence the file size remains the same as no additional compression or other change in attributes were applied.

Reaction score
First I want to admit that I have considerably less experience with these types of things than other members, some of which have provided options above, but....
I just grabbed an .mp4 file that I have on my computer and copied it to my desktop so as not to mess with the original.
I then just right clicked the copy and chose from the context menu to "rename". I chose to leave the name the same but changed the file extension from .mp4 to .mp3 and when prompted answered in the affirmative.
That action produced / preserved the audio from the .mp4 file and of course omitted the video.
I'm not sure this will provide what you are looking for as there was no actual "conversion" in the process and as a consequence the file size remains the same as no additional compression or other change in attributes were applied.
The only issue with that is that it will leave you with an awful large mp3 file. Just a note, after changing the extension to mp3, the video still plays in VLC.

Reaction score
You can also convert an mp4 to an mp3 in VLC. Select "media", then "convert/save". Click "+ add" to add a file to convert. Click "convert/save". Next to profile, select the format you wish to convert to (mp3 is an option). Next to "destination file", browse to where you want to save it, and click "save" (you can also rename it at this point if you want). Then click "start".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only issue with that is that it will leave you with an awful large mp3 file
I believe I might have already mentioned that

Reaction score
Hi Trouble Noob Whisperer,

I changed the file extension from mp4 to mp3 and then Dragged and Dropped the file into Cerego. Cerego did not open the file. Next I tried to upload the file; Cerego tried but did not open the file. I have imported MP3 files and tyhey play right away.

Ask a Question