Converting Windows 7 machine to Windows 10

Reaction score
I have converted many machines to windows 10 with the software from Microsoft. But I have a machine that goes through the setup and is getting stuck on "Getting updates." I am installing the latest update H2. Any suggestions on how to get this thing moving forward? I have tried several times..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The last time that happened to me was on an HP desktop that had an add-on wireless card attached to the motherboard. I had to remove it to finish and then I replaced it and everything seemed to be fine.

My advice.... secure the latest ISO from Microsoft, create bootable installation media from that ISO.
Detach all extraneous peripherals, disconnect it from the network so it's in its' own little bubble and do the install....
THEN
Manually check for any outstanding updates after the initial install is completed.

Reaction score
I have converted many machines to windows 10 with the software from Microsoft. But I have a machine that goes through the setup and is getting stuck on "Getting updates." I am installing the latest update H2. Any suggestions on how to get this thing moving forward? I have tried several times..
Wait until it finishes that update loop and for the H2 to updte as your HDD (if it’s a spinner HDD) and it could be in a loop, which is common with these older HDD's. I would change it to an SSD, give it overnight and see what happens? If not then reboot the computer and see if that doesn’t fix the problem and/or check the HDD with ‘Disk Error Checking” and see if your drive is faulty, if it is? Then there is your problem but, a rebbot hould fix that as the update will continue where it left off and/or you could start the update from the start.

Ask a Question