Performace problem

Reaction score
I'm having a performance issue with a computer that should not be having this problem of course. The computer is extremely slow to boot up and shut down. Get the spinning wheel a lot. Programs are extremely slow to respond. Task Manager is showing the the hard drive is at 100% most of the time. Sometimes it drops down to acceptable levels but it's mostly at 100%. I see no processes that could be causing this. I checked for malware and virus's, pretty clean. Disabled almost all startup items. Computer firmware and software is up to date. The Lenovo Vantage app does not indicate any problems with the hardware. The RAID set has 1.5Tb free. I installed System Mechanic Pro and cleaned up some things. I'm almost at a point to backup, wipe clean and reinstall everything . So what can be causing this? What can I check? Suggestions?

Lenovo Thinkstation P330 Tower
Windows 10 64 bit
Xeon 3.6Ghz
2 2TB drives in a Raid 1 set
32 Gb ram

Reaction score
Hard to believe that nobody's mentioned it, but I'll bet your HD is dying. A sure sign of a failing drive is that the PC slows down (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot). TaskManager showing the drive being 100% busy is another indicator.

Replace the HD -- preferably with an SSD. You may be able to clone the existing drive to the new one, but if not, backup all your data and install Win 10 again on the new drive.

Reaction score
I agree that one of the HDD's may be failing, however cloning will not solve the problem as the HDD is part of a RAID system (whichever it is). I do not have much experience with RAID systems but every drive has its unique ID and throwing a new drive in may render the whole system inoperable.

Ask a Question