SOLVED New Problems after hard drive format....

Reaction score
My Problems With Windows 10:

I have used Windows versions for 30 years and have never had any of these problems before.

So, I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 (from the cloud).

I couldn’t believe it when I see the exact same problems are still there even with a brand new copy of Windows 10.

They are:

1: When I “right click” the desktop to add a folder, instead of getting the usual small “envelope”, the mouse arrow changes to a circle and continues to “spin around” for at least a minute before the envelope appears, allowing me to add the folder.

2: Although I have set “when” the computer sleeps to 1 minute (on power, not battery), it NEVER turns off, like it used to. This has never happened before.

3: Every time I try to do a “system restore”, the result is “failed to restore”.

4: I cannot remove the necessity to use a PIN number. I do not require to have to use it or any other method of signing it. I have followed the instructions of how to remove it, however, it doesn’t work.

Can anyone help please?

Reaction score
My Problems With Windows 10:

I have used Windows versions for 30 years and have never had any of these problems before.

So, I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 (from the cloud).

I couldn’t believe it when I see the exact same problems are still there even with a brand new copy of Windows 10.

They are:

1: When I “right click” the desktop to add a folder, instead of getting the usual small “envelope”, the mouse arrow changes to a circle and continues to “spin around” for at least a minute before the envelope appears, allowing me to add the folder.

2: Although I have set “when” the computer sleeps to 1 minute (on power, not battery), it NEVER turns off, like it used to. This has never happened before.

3: Every time I try to do a “system restore”, the result is “failed to restore”.

4: I cannot remove the necessity to use a PIN number. I do not require to have to use it or any other method of signing it. I have followed the instructions of how to remove it, however, it doesn’t work.

Can anyone help please?

I've spent nearly all day re formatting totally, then adding every program I own. You would know it, the same problems are there (excepting I didn't try the system restore obviously).
As I said, these problems have never occurred before.

H...E...L...P...!!!

Reaction score
I would reinstall Windows using the media creation tool, creating media then using this to clean install Windows by booting from the USB, once reinstalled & you’ve downloaded any further Windows updates then check for the problem, if it is still there then the cause is hardware not software.
If the problem doesn’t appear then install drivers one-by-one testing after each install, this way you can see whether it’s a driver problem & which driver is the cause.
If all still working then install programs one-by-one doing the same as with drivers - testing after each install.

Reaction score
I would reinstall Windows using the media creation tool, creating media then using this to clean install Windows by booting from the USB, once reinstalled & you’ve downloaded any further Windows updates then check for the problem, if it is still there then the cause is hardware not software.
If the problem doesn’t appear then install drivers one-by-one testing after each install, this way you can see whether it’s a driver problem & which driver is the cause.
If all still working then install programs one-by-one doing the same as with drivers - testing after each install.
Thank you. I will try that over the next few days. It is annoying.

Reaction score
It’s a long way of testing I know, having had to do this many years ago.
I would add that you can also use system imaging software like Macrium to create a backup after every successful install so that should you need to roll back you don’t have to start from scratch again.

Reaction score
It’s a long way of testing I know, having had to do this many years ago.
I would add that you can also use system imaging software like Macrium to create a backup after every successful install so that should you need to roll back you don’t have to start from scratch again.
Thanks again but on reading your posts more closely, I feel the procedure is beyond me.
I will contact HP (Pavilion) re your hardware suggestion, as I feel it might be that.

The odd thing is that when I finish formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 10, and absolutely before I add anything further, the problems are already there (except the system restore problem of course).

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Thanks again. You appear to be correct. Now I've tried to download Google Earth Pro but I keep getting error code 0x80070057. I've googled that code and it has to do with trying to format drives, etc.
So, all problems seem to be connected to my formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 10. Maybe it's the disc itself, although its only 2 years old.
Thanks again Bastet.......

Reaction score
Thanks again. You appear to be correct. Now I've tried to download Google Earth Pro but I keep getting error code 0x80070057. I've googled that code and it has to do with trying to format drives, etc.
So, all problems seem to be connected to my formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 10. Maybe it's the disc itself, although its only 2 years old.
Thanks again Bastet.......

May I ask, what kind of drive that was (make and model please) ?? I am only asking for future reference...

You may be able to get test tools from the manufacturers site. Then you can run those tests and you will know for sure, if the drive is bad...

Reaction score
May I ask, what kind of drive that was (make and model please) ?? I am only asking for future reference...

You may be able to get test tools from the manufacturers site. Then you can run those tests and you will know for sure, if the drive is bad...
Don't know that, however, if it helps, the laptop is a HP Pavilion model 4LG40PA.
I have joined HP Support forum and posted the same info a few minutes ago, so am waiting for some kind person to reply?????
Thanks again for your input Grizzly.

Reaction score
Well, I looked that up on the HP website but it only says that it is a 1TB HDD. It does not say anything about the brand. There are other ways to look for the brand though as in the device manager (if you can get to it) or when the laptop starts it usually shows the hardware listed (at least on the ones that I have seen so far).
Maybe you get lucky and get a response there but I wouldn't hold my breath....

Reaction score
If you’re willing to try you could try using diskpart from the installation media to clean the drive.
Boot from the USB & choose troubleshooting/repair Windows at the bottom of the screen.
choose startup options>Cmd prompt with admin, once in the cmd windows enter these:
diskpart
list disk
select disk X where X is the number of the drive containing Windows - this may be 0
Clean
Exit
Exit
If at any time this fails then the drive is bad.
You should then be able to boot to the installation media & install Windows as if on a new drive.

I have not tried this so I’m unsure of the steps to reach cmd prompt using boot USB.
If you Prefer not to try this then I understand.

Reaction score
If you’re willing to try you could try using diskpart from the installation media to clean the drive.
Boot from the USB & choose troubleshooting/repair Windows at the bottom of the screen.
choose startup options>Cmd prompt with admin, once in the cmd windows enter these:
diskpart
list disk
select disk X where X is the number of the drive containing Windows - this may be 0
Clean
Exit
Exit
If at any time this fails then the drive is bad.
You should then be able to boot to the installation media & install Windows as if on a new drive.

I have not tried this so I’m unsure of the steps to reach cmd prompt using boot USB.
If you Prefer not to try this then I understand.
I am continuing to try everything you people have suggested, just takes time. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Keep us updated.
Have reinstalled w10 using tool.

The problem re desktop problem is ok now. But sleep problem still exists.

Havent tried system restore yet for obvious reasons.

Still can't get rid of PIN requirement.

Thanks so far. Will try other things today.

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the sleep problem?
Try something longer than 1 minute - mine’s set to 20 minutes - to see if something is running which affects sleep.
I take it you’re trying to remove the option to log in & are wishing to go straight to the desktop?
Right click Start>Run & enter netplwiz, select your user account & then untick ‘Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer’ this will allow you to go directly to the desktop. I would caution on this as on occasion you would have to enter your account password (usually after an update).
As long as you don’t forget the password/PIN you’ll be fine.

Reaction score
Bastet.....firstly, thanks for your reply and input.

The sleep problem is: I like to set the control panel "sleep" section to activate after 1 minute on power, except when I am transferring folders to a USB, as the screen must be open to do this. However, if I am downloading programs, then it is OK to have the screen in sleep mode. Hence, I am continually changing the settings in control panel so the laptop goes to sleep after 1 minute (the lowest you can set for).
Since resetting W10, the laptop simply does not go to sleep ANYTIME regardless of what time I set it for. I have tried your suggestion without success.

I have clicked on start/run and entered "netplwiz" but when the "envelope" opened, there was no provision to tick anything, especially what you suggested. YES, I wish to go straight to desktop without PIN or Password, like I always have. Since resetting W10 I can't seem to do this.

In addition, I tried a system restore yesterday, after resetting W10, but still I got the "failed to restore" sign after going through the motions.

At least I can now right click on the desktop and add folders......that's the only thing resetting W10 from Windows has done.

Thanks again, I'll keep hoping someone can help me...........

Reaction score
Sleep mode is dependent on nothing running in the background/no activity so ensure there is nothing running & there’s no mouse movement.
You could try to set sleep to something longer to see if this works, if it does then 1 minute may be too short.
Did you click on your username/account to open its settings?
System Restore is buggy & is affected by antivirus software, try running SR within Safe Mode.
Many users are moving away from Windows inbuilt backup & SR & using disk imaging software which is more reliable.

Reaction score
The stupid part of this is that I am doing nothing different to what I have been doing since I first got W10 (a million years ago).

I understand sleep mode, and it has worked on "1 minute" for the same million years. On your advice I have changed settings to various different times, still doesn't sleep. So 1 minute has never been too short.

As for your system restore comment, I use BitDefender and CCleaner Pro......and have for years with no problems. Re this comment by you, don't forget, these problems existed as soon as I reset W10, BEFORE I actually reinstalled ANY APP AT ALL. So couldn't be due to my antivirus software, or in fact anything running in the background, except whatever programs come with HP when I reset.

I appreciate you and others trying to help me, but I am still stuffed, so may have to fade away into the night.

One other question - could it be one of the million programs which are downloaded by HP when resetting? I don't really know what most of them are for, so can't really uninstall them.

At least the problem re my desktop has been fixed thanks to you.

I don't understand what you said about clicking on username/account, etc....????

Thanks again Bastet...........

Ask a Question