Problems after installing 20H2

Reaction score
I just installed 20H2 with an in-place upgrade plus the latest updates on 2 HP laptops (different models). I have had no problems with the 15bs234wm, but I have several on the 15da0053wm. It has a 1 TB WD PCIe/NVMe which I installed just after completing the upgrade/updates, which I cloned from the existing 1 TB SATA hard drive. I disabled the Optane memory in the BIOS, then pulled the drive and the Optane to install the SSD.

I have three problems on the 15da- 1.5 of my 8 desktop gadgets won't display properly any more (they all still run just fine on the 15bs) 2.) My notification area won't stay open for me to read notifications- it snaps shut as soon as I move the mouse up into it (the 15bs still works just the same as it always has and 3.) The 15da won't let me create a system repair DVD, telling me it's not a valid Windows installation disc. The 15bs made the repair DVD just fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (The first two problems appeared before I switched out the SATA drive for the SSD, so it's not the drive.)

Reaction score
I ran sfc and DISM just prior to the in-place upgrade. I just did the in-place upgrade through Windows two days ago rather than through the bootup process to retain all my apps. I'll run sfc and DISM again, but a factory reset is out of the question. I can't lose any data through upgrades or updates- it's all on external hard drives, but I have over 150 apps that would have to be reinstalled. Thanks for the suggestions.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
but a factory reset is out of the question. I can't lose any data t
There's 2 options in windows 10 for a factory reset. 1; is to wipe the drive (formatt) and a fresh install of windows is applied. 2; a reset keeping your data....which is what I suggested. This will keep all your personal files and data...ie documents, vids, photos. All 3rd party software will be erased.

As a precautionary step to the reset keeping your data. I would backup all you pertinent data to an external source...ie HDD, Flash drive then verify the data then do the reset keeping your data.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I would also check all your drivers are up to date since you pulled the optane drive. It may need to be put back in the laptop to function correctly.

FYI: This is exactly why I don't clone drives.....I prefer a good ole clean install.

Reaction score
I don't need a reset keeping my data- it's all on an external hard drive, which I can simply unplug and plug back in afterwards. It's all the third party apps that need to be reinstalled- I've done a factory reset before, and it will take me several days to reinstall.

Reaction score
The Optane can't be put back in- the SSD goes in the slot that the Optane used to occupy. The Optane gets disabled in BIOS before you pull it. There's no driver for it- it's an Intel motherboard and the Optane is also Intel, totally integrated into the BIOS. I checked all this out with HP before the SSD was installed.

Reaction score
Moving the apps to the external drive doesn't work- I believe all the registry settings for the apps gets wiped out during the reset, and the only way to restore them is to reinstall the apps.

Ask a Question