SOLVED Problems installing other browsers

Reaction score
I've come a problem, which has got me stuck on using Microsoft Edge Browser.
For quite sometime I have been using FireFox or Chrome, sometimes Edge, and now for some unknown reason, Chrome stopped working and FireFox as it won't display any web pages, so when I've typed in say.... ebay.uk it finds in the search dropdown list and then trys to load the main page up,,waiting waiting..waiting then times out saying can't find the page???????? Yet my Internet is working fine, no problems at all...
So thought ok, lets uninstall them and reinstall them again.. Hooray ! all working fine, then after a few minutes I get the time out response again !
And now when this happens to either FireFox or Chrome, my Microsoft Edge does the same !! time out...

So in the end I reformatted my C drive ( being long over due now to do it..)
Reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, Edge works ok...Good ! now load up FireFox..works..good.. Chrome ok..works...
And again a few minutes of clicking and surfing, it happens again ??????????
So rebooted and all works fine... watch a few youtube videos..do a bit web surfing... and go to click on a link and I'm back with the page time out, check your Internet Connection or Router ?????????
Router is fine as my Tablet works fine with Chrome with no problems????????? no problem at all....
Checked my Internet connection and speed..all working fine !!
Even when says time out check your internet connection can't find dns server ???
yet I can my Windows Mail and other Internet related programs works fine... so my Internet connection is working 100% no problems???
Drivers up to date.. so to all my Windows updates..
Using Kaspersky Internet Software..
Any ideas ???
Has then been any Windows updates in the last few weeks causing this, anybody else mentioning this problem ?
Thanks for any advice..
If I install Firefox or Chrome then after a while pages times out saying can't find dns server for that page..
Edge works fine as long as I don't install the other 2 browsers..
THanks..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I'd start by removing Kaspersky including running their vendor specific proprietary removal tool

See if that resolves your issue.

When ever I see a "security" product that has.... in its' name "Internet" and I'm having trouble with the "internet" that's usually where I start.

Reaction score
I'd definitely try what Trouble says. I had similar issues with Outlook when I used to use Kaspersky.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying, but I've had no issues before with Kaspersky 2019, and at the moment I am using Microsoft Edge and so far no problems, no time out issues, so going to reinstall FireFox and see what happens..

Reaction score
I'd definitely try what Trouble says. I had similar issues with Outlook when I used to use Kaspersky.
My Windows Mail works fine, my Internet connection is fine with no problems.. just had a issue with the 2 other browsers, yet when the problem rises with them it seems to effect my Microsoft Edge, bit like when 1 go's down they all do??????????

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The fact that you mail program(s) works fine is irrelevant. Many programs that necessarily traverse the internet often use completely different protocols and ports. So one such program might work fine while another fails.

The message you are getting regarding
pages times out saying can't find dns server for that page.
Suggests that something is interfering with DNS forwarding at some point along the route or you got some bad tables cached
You might try clearing your DNS cache next time the problem pops up.

I can't tell you how many times I've had any number of networking issues that have been produced by a so called "Security Suite".
Seems every year or so some update to some security software will cause issues for their customers.

Reaction score
Sorted the problem, the fault lied with Cryptographic Services.
Microsoft Edge worked fine
But FireFox, Chrome would stop with time out problems or failed to load the page leaving a blank screen I hunted around the internet for a solution, it appears this is a bug with Cryptographic Services, by going into your task manager and stopping this service cured the problem, this was only temporary, to do a permanent fix you must :

1. Open Run and type in regedit
2. Go here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\
3. Right-click ProtectedRoots > Permissions and pick your account .
Tick Allow Full Control
4. Right-click Root and Export
5. Open Task Manager > stop Cryptographic Service and Delete Root(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\) key in Regedit.
6. Restart your Windows.

This seems to have cured my problem... and FireFox and Chrome are working fine now..

If you are having a similar problem like me, first check in the Task Manager and look for Service Host Cryptographic Service, then END the task, if this cures your problem then do the above fix...

#Only do the Temporary fix first !! to make sure that is your problem! before preceding with the permanent fix"

What I read about this problem was the Windows host Cryptographic Service shows a >2% of CPU when it should be at 0% most of the time
When I think back now this problem started a couple of weeks ago when I did a complete format and reinstalled my Windows 10 Pro, according to what I've have on the internet this a problem that dates back 2018 and Microsoft knew about it and sorted this out??
with a update...was'nt there some problem with a update last year ?
Well I hope no one else has this problem, hope this helps anybody that does...

Attachments

• problemcrypto.jpg
    problemcrypto.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Reaction score
Just found another way you can solve this problem with the Cryptographic Services, only if you are having problems with Chrome & FireFox with time out issues..
Select Run from a Right Click on the Windows logo, then type services.msc to open the Services Manager.
Find Cryptographic Services, Right click and select Properties, Log On, select Local System account.
Apply,Ok, and reset your PC..

Attachments

• badcrypto.jpg
    badcrypto.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 392
Reaction score
My problem is now solved, I decieded to do another complete reinstall and this time download the very latest through Microsoft of Windows 10 Pro using the Media Creation tool, once that was installed, I opted for a compete reinstall, wiping out my last Windows 10 completely.. (wasn't a problem as I had back ups on disc's)
It seemed a lot quicker way, and now my problem has gone away the Cryptographic Services doesn't effect my FireFox or Chrome anymore. Kaspersky works fine. all my updates are installed and anything is working as it should..
I can only put my problem down to a older release of Windows 10 Pro.. ;)

Ask a Question