SOLVED New Problems after hard drive format....

Reaction score
Windows 10 would have Defender activated by default before you install Bitdefender so this too may be preventing access as it now seems to have a self protection setting. It is this which causes the system restore problem.
HP’s bloatware has been known to cause problems.

Reaction score
The stupid part of this is that I am doing nothing different to what I have been doing since I first got W10 (a million years ago).

I understand sleep mode, and it has worked on "1 minute" for the same million years. On your advice I have changed settings to various different times, still doesn't sleep. So 1 minute has never been too short.

As for your system restore comment, I use BitDefender and CCleaner Pro......and have for years with no problems. Re this comment by you, don't forget, these problems existed as soon as I reset W10, BEFORE I actually reinstalled ANY APP AT ALL. So couldn't be due to my antivirus software, or in fact anything running in the background, except whatever programs come with HP when I reset.

I appreciate you and others trying to help me, but I am still stuffed, so may have to fade away into the night.

One other question - could it be one of the million programs which are downloaded by HP when resetting? I don't really know what most of them are for, so can't really uninstall them.

At least the problem re my desktop has been fixed thanks to you.

I don't understand what you said about clicking on username/account, etc....????

Thanks again Bastet...........
Guess what? I have spent all day taking my laptop back to factory condition. When W10 finished downloading and BEFORE ADDING ANY APPS BACK (including BitDefender and CCleaner), I did a system restore, and checked my original problems. THEY ARE ALL STILL THERE. Obviously I couldn't check the system restore problem, but I will down the track.

So, my current problems are:

1....I still can't get rid of the requirement to use a PIN to log in. I want to be able to enter my desktop without this necessity.

2....I have tried everything to correct the sleep problem. I have googled and googled without success. I have set the PC to go to sleep after 1 minute on power, and 10 minutes, and others.....all without success. The PC refuses to sleep.

3....Microsoft EDGE opens every time I restart. How do I stop this. I don't use EDGE.

It appears I may have to put up with the problems, as some of you good people have given me advice, and I have tried ALL OF THEM, without success.

So,I don't know whether the problem is caused by W10, or HP Pavilion.

Thanks to those who helped - You know who you are.......

Cheers,
Tony

Reaction score
There’s a setting under Edge to run in the background, this possibly is the cause of Edge opening on startup.
The sleep problem may be a bug as I’m noticing others with the same problem.
If the option isn’t there when following the instructions I posted (including clicking on your account/username) then I’ll check on my laptop to see if the option is there.
It may be something with HP’s own settings which is affecting this. The only way you’d find out is to clean install Windows which would remove all of HP’s included software.
Is there any HP software installed which may be overriding sleep settings?
Is fast startup enabled?
You’ve probably seen this:

Reaction score
There’s a setting under Edge to run in the background, this possibly is the cause of Edge opening on startup.
The sleep problem may be a bug as I’m noticing others with the same problem.
If the option isn’t there when following the instructions I posted (including clicking on your account/username) then I’ll check on my laptop to see if the option is there.
It may be something with HP’s own settings which is affecting this. The only way you’d find out is to clean install Windows which would remove all of HP’s included software.
Is there any HP software installed which may be overriding sleep settings?
Is fast startup enabled?
You’ve probably seen this:

Bastet, reading through your suggestion, can I say that I HAVE ALREADY done a clean install of W10, however the problems still exist. It did not remove all of HP's included software. Perhaps I am not doing a clean install??? I hope I am doing this correctly. Could you explain how I can do this, in case I didn't do it right?

I still don't understand what you mean with "click on your name and account/username".

Yes, I have disabled fast startup.

Can I say this...........I received an email a few days from HP, an employee was reading this forum and offered to ring me if I supplied my mobile number and a suitable time. I did this, but have heard nothing since. I think it's time I actually rang HP, and discussed the problems, which are ALL minor problems I agree, but I want them fixed.

My main point is - these problems have never existed until a week or so ago, and I can't work out why they started.

Thanks again Bastet.......look forward to your comments after you read this.....

Reaction score
A clean install would remove all HP software. Did you download the media creation tool, run this & chosen to create media?
To clean install Windows you would boot the pc with this usb media inserted & click the key which allows you to temporarily change the boot option.
Then follow instructions to delete all partitions ( if you have a separate data partition then just delete the partition containing Windows) then the media will install windows for you.

Reaction score
A clean install would remove all HP software. Did you download the media creation tool, run this & chosen to create media?
To clean install Windows you would boot the pc with this usb media inserted & click the key which allows you to temporarily change the boot option.
Then follow instructions to delete all partitions ( if you have a separate data partition then just delete the partition containing Windows) then the media will install windows for you.
Could I simply uninstall ALL HP files????? Sounds vicious as there is a thousand of them. I'll ponder for awhile and make some inquiries with HP.

Thanks again Bastet......I'll keep in touch.

Reaction score
You could but this may leave remnants behind & then the problem may still remain due to that.
If you do go down this route I’d recommend using Revo Uninstaller to remove the HP software.
A clean install would remove any chance of their software affecting Windows.

Reaction score
I agree. I'd uninstall it with revo uninstaller first, and see if that helps. If not, doing a clean install of Windows will guarantee no bloatware. My HP didn't come with much. I uninstalled what I didn't need, and went in to the startup settings and disabled the rest from loading at boot.

Reaction score
I agree. I'd uninstall it with revo uninstaller first, and see if that helps. If not, doing a clean install of Windows will guarantee no bloatware. My HP didn't come with much. I uninstalled what I didn't need, and went in to the startup settings and disabled the rest from loading at boot.
Thanks to you both.

Could you please explain in SIMPLE terms how to install a CLEAN copy of W10 please?

I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE TOOL TO A USB, so I have that ready.......

Reaction score
Insert the USB media & restart the pc, as soon as you see then manufacturer’s logo you would rapidly click the key which corresponds to the temporary boot change - this can be F2, F7, F8 or F12.
Then choose the delete all partitions & clean install Windows.
Ensure you have any drivers for graphics card & audio ready. Windows will install basic drivers for this but you should ensure you have the current drivers.
Full instructions here:

Reaction score
Will take in what you have said, so will take a few days to organise, and save etc. I can't thank you enough.

Reaction score
You’re welcome.
We’ll be here if you need further help.
Thanks again. I am about to start doing it, following your instructions.
Let's hope it works. I will contact again IF I succeed. Hopefully I don't stuff up my laptop and have trouble logging back in.
Prayers will help.................:eek::D

Reaction score
Back again........started to install as per your instructions, got to the "install" stage, clicked OK. It started, got to about 14%, then told me the installation was cancelled and it wouldn't proceed.
I had no alternative but to "back out", which I did.
So, my plan to clean install W10 was dashed. IS THERE ANOTHER Way to clean install?????
I suggest that HP may have something there which stops any interference, like an install????

It appears at this stage that I have no alternative but to "put up" with my relative small problems.
I'll wait for perhaps more advice, and then mark the thread as solved........but I'll wait for a week or so.

Thanks again Bastet............

Reaction score
If you clean installed as I mentioned then there’s no files on the drive as you would’ve deleted all the partitions then allowed the media to create those it requires. Did you do this? If yes then there’s a possibility the drive is faulty/failing.

Reaction score
Bastet, you didn't read my post closely........I DID NOT CLEAN INSTALL as it wouldn't let me. I downloaded the tool, but TWICE I tried to clean install following your instructions, but each time it FAILED.

So I am back where i started. Everything was put back to the state it was in before I tried the clean install.

I will put up with the faults, and ring HP or speak with someone. Until then, I will carry on.

I will mark this thread as solved in a week or so, depending on my inquiry results.

Thank you again for your help.

Reaction score
I’m trying to understand why it failed if you followed my instructions & deleted all partitions. Hence why I asked.
If you had deleted all partitions then there’s no os installed so there’s nothing to roll back to.
I suspect the drive may be faulty.

Reaction score
Yeah, if you completely format the drive and do a fresh install, and it still fails, it points to faulty hardware, The drive would be the first thing to look at. But other faulty hardware, like the motherboard, could also cause the install to fail. Once you format the drive, that takes other software out of the equation.

Reaction score
I take in what you both said. The sad part is that otherwise the laptop is running perfectly. I have done a "drive" scan for problems....none found.

I am going to start again, so may be off the air for awhile.

Thanks again both of you.

Reaction score
If you get it up and running, download crystaldiskinfo and run it. It will check the hard drives SMART data. That will tell you of impending disk failure. Hardware issues are funny. Sometimes you don't even know they are there until you try to do something that exposes the issue. I've had that issue with graphics cards and bad ram.

Ask a Question