Photo App and Maps

Reaction score
Been using the win10 64 bit photos app and lots of my photos have location information in them. When viewing the photos in the app, click on the "File Info" and it displays a small map with location at the left side, but, it also has under the small map "Open Map" which you click on and the full size map app is supposed to launch. This used to work many month (years?) ago, but not now. Any ideas how to fix?

Reaction score
Hi Quinco,

seems to be an ongoing problem, the last post in the link is from May 2020. :rolleyes:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I like the idea of the Photo App.....but for the love of everything true. MS had kicked the pooch on this one. They really need to refine it or just bring back the full photo software back.

Reaction score
Been using the win10 64 bit photos app and lots of my photos have location information in them. When viewing the photos in the app, click on the "File Info" and it displays a small map with location at the left side, but, it also has under the small map "Open Map" which you click on and the full size map app is supposed to launch. This used to work many month (years?) ago, but not now. Any ideas how to fix?
I found a "workaround". That is I installed something called GeoPhoto from the Microsoft store. Once installed, if you right click the photo in the Photo App and then pick "Open with" you can select GeoPhoto. This horrid thing is based on Bing Maps. If it is a single photo you click on "Picture Info" at the bottom right corner. Then you can see the GPS coordinates in a form that can be copied and pasted into Google Maps. If you are viewing multiple pictures in GeoPhoto its a little different work flow but you can still get to the GPS. I found a news article from late 2019 that said that MS was going to use TomTom maps (and for sure it does say TomTom on the little map in the Photo App). One explanation I heard was that MSremoved the exact geo location since they wanted to keep people away from Google Maps. Makes sense. Now lets see how quickly they remove the feature from GeoPhoto.

Ask a Question