Playing old games

Reaction score
Hi i was wondering i just recently upgraded from windows 7 to 10 and im on 32bit if i go to 64bit will my games that were designed for windows 9x work on windows 10 64bit let me know thanks

Reaction score
I have the old StarCraft game, designed for 32 bit Windows XP. It wouldn't play well on 7 or 8, but it plays great on 10.

I also have Diablo 3, which is designed for Windows 7. It played well on 8, and it plays well on 10.

Reaction score
I have played Call of Duty all the way back to COD2 in Windows 10 without problems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
will my games that were designed for windows 9x work on windows 10 64bit
Almost certainly not. I'm pretty sure they won't at least not without some fancy hacks.
Windows 9x was strictly a 32 bit operating system.
Frankly I'm surprised that they play on Windows 10 32 bit.
If you could provide some specifics as to the game titles perhaps someone might have some info as to their own experiences with those particular games and Windows 10 64bit

Reaction score
It's the older 16bit games/applications that will not run on a 64bit operating system.

If your game/application is 32bit, you should be able to get it working. That is if new hardware doesn't adversely effect the way it runs. Heck some of those games can even still be bought through Steam, GoG, and maybe even other gaming platforms. And then run on any of the newest operating systems.

jpk

Reaction score
I have played Call of Duty all the way back to COD2 in Windows 10 without problems.
Hmmm. I have CoD 1st edition along with United Offensive as well as CoD 2 and neither will load. I get an error message when the disc is accessed. The games have been installed ok but when I try to access the game I get the error message.
Access Violation at address 7754E72A in module 'ntdll.dll'. Read of address 0C000A83

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, maybe you should contact Activision support as it should play.

jpk

Reaction score
Activision seems to have forgotten their earlier releases of CoD. They only go back as far as CoD4 MW. I'll take another look later but I didn't see much for their earlier stuff.

Reaction score
If you are still having problems with your old games and Win 10, you might want to read through their forums (if they still exist). Before buying a new computer with Win 10 64 bit Home, I was playing Fallout 3 GOTY on my old WinXP Inspiron 530. After installing the game into the new computer and Setting the compatibility mode to WinXP, I tried running it as Admin. Nope. Found a "workaround" after reading the Nexus and Steam forums...... By the way, I didn't use Steam to download the game as I have the disk set.

"Oblivion GOTY" installed without any problems and plays. Same with "Torchlight". I have "Skyrim" but being on a limited satellite connection and having to be forced to connect to Steam during registration AND any new required updates during installation......makes this problematic. Bad enough with the Win 10 updates as it is.

I'd like to install a couple of newer games, which are more in keeping with CoD, but taking my time as I perform more research what would work with Win 10. Sort of the same problem when WinXP and Vista first came out with older games compatibility issues, not installing or working properly.

Ask a Question