SOLVED Movies & TV Stopped playing H265 movies

Reaction score
Hello....I have been using win10 for about 11 months and have been playing movies with the Movies & TV application, H265 without any problems. Just now, can't play H265 video any longer (screen stays black) and after reset of this application, can now hear audio but still no video. Movies other than H265, continue to play fine as usual. Windows Media Player Does play movies including H265 but would rather fix and use the Movies & TV app.

Tried several troubleshooting suggestions but did not work.

Uninstall and reinstall? Not sure how....as I see some info that blocks re-installation?? Any suggestions ..would be appreciated.

Thanks..Ponder

Reaction score
Thanks for that, but the extension has not been available since this happened to me.....Not sure by the talk on the web if it will or will not become available again??

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie..

Yes I use VLC and it plays H265...just seems that Movies & TV has a setting or two that is not on VLC or others...

Hoping that there is a fix to be able to play H265 with Movies & TV.....but maybe will have to wait till MS gets to it....

Thanks..Ponder

Reaction score
Well two days ago the fall upgrade installed on another win10 desktop which was one that movies & tv played the h265 files and so did Windows media player...But after the update, Movies and tv still plays h265 but the windows media player does not....??? Hard to figure out...as the original desktop which I started this post for still plays h265 with Windows Media Player...but does not play h265 with Movies & TV....but I will code this post as solved as I think the only strategy is to wait for MS to get these issues fixed.......I want to thank you for your replies and help for this as well.....Bill

Ask a Question