SOLVED Bluetooth headset must be turned off and on in settings before playing audio.

Reaction score
Ever since the latest Windows 10 update, the creator's update, my Bluetooth headset must be turned off and on in the Windows 10 bluetooth settings before playing audio.
I'm using a Sony h.ear bluetooth headset on a desktop pc with a bluetooth dongle. Before the update, it has been working flawlessly.

Does anyone know a fix?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Check the properties of the adapter. If it has 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' checked then uncheck that. That is all I can think of as a remote possibility.

Reaction score
Check and make sure the Bluetooth settings haven't changed. Settings_Devices_Bluetooth /Other Devices _ Bluetooth ON, so the devices are discoverable.

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by turned off and on in the Bluetooth settings. On my system, I show the headset as paired. When I turn the headset on it connects without me needing to do anything else. When I am finished listening to music, I do turn the power off on the headset which disconnects it.

Different headsets may behave differently and I do not have your headset. If yours is doing something strange, it might help to remove the device from the Bluetooth settings an then re-pair the device.

Reaction score
Bluetooth settings are the same and the power save option has already been unchecked.
As for Norton, your link is irrelevant.

Reaction score
It's a problem with Windows 10, not the headphones themselves. As I said, the Windows creator's update is the only thing that changed between the headphones working properly and not.
I've checked Sony's forums and it did not help. There's nothing more I can use from their end, that is why I'm here.

Reaction score
I see the issue as being a problem with Bluetooth as I use a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse on my MacBook Pro since I got it several years ago and several upgraded versions of the Mac OS. The mouse loses the connection with the Notebook and most times will reconnect but sometimes need to turn the mouse off and back on to get it working. I also use Bluetooth mice on a couple of Notebooks and 3 Tablets running Windows and don't see as big a problem as on the Mac. The most reliable mouse I have is one from Targus but apparently has been discontinued. For reliability, if having sufficient ports, the Wireless/Wi-Fi mice are best, probably would be the same for headsets. Also of note is that Bluetooth usually has a 30 feet range limit, could cause a disconnect and moving back to the computer to reconnect has to be accomplished.

Reaction score
I see the issue as being a problem with Bluetooth as I use a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse on my MacBook Pro since I got it several years ago and several upgraded versions of the Mac OS. The mouse loses the connection with the Notebook and most times will reconnect but sometimes need to turn the mouse off and back on to get it working. I also use Bluetooth mice on a couple of Notebooks and 3 Tablets running Windows and don't see as big a problem as on the Mac. The most reliable mouse I have is one from Targus but apparently has been discontinued. For reliability, if having sufficient ports, the Wireless/Wi-Fi mice are best, probably would be the same for headsets. Also of note is that Bluetooth usually has a 30 feet range limit, could cause a disconnect and moving back to the computer to reconnect has to be accomplished.

I am using a wireless headset, not sure why you went on that rant...
As for the distance thing, this happens right next to my computer.

Reaction score
All I can suggest is looking for new drivers for the Bluetooth Dongle or the headset. Make sure any firmware is updated also.

Win 10 upgrade seems to be working for me so far. It may be a specific device could have been left behind in the upgrade process and no longer functions in this version.

What Bluetooth dongle are you using and how old is it? Do you not have built in Bluetooth on that system?

We need some info on exactly what is happening. Say you start with the headset paired but not connected. When you power it on, what happens .. any tones? After it is powered on does the status change in Win 10?

Do you show the headset or Bluetooth dongle in Device Manager where you could check the properties and look at the Events tab?

Reaction score
Checked with my Grandson he say's Right click the speaker icon > playback and check or reset your Bluetooth device defaults.

Reaction score
I am using a wireless headset, not sure why you went on that rant...
It's not a rant, it's a description of things that have similar issues with one particular thing such as where the Bluetooth has issues with more than a wireless headset. If one knows where other issues with a particular thing exists it can be helpful in trying to find a solution.

Reaction score
The headset is already the default device.
After the headset is turned on, I have to disable and enable the headset in the windows 10 bluetooth settings in order for them to play audio. All drivers are already updated.

Reaction score
Update: Now the same thing is happening with playback audio through my computer's Aux port and wired speakers. No audio what-so-ever plays in any of my playback devices when I wake it from sleep mode, until I disable and reenable one of the devices. This issue is no longer just a bluetooth issue.

Reaction score
One of my diagnostics is to use a Linux LiveDVD and boot to it, see if the hardware works in it. The LiveDVD is a downloaded .iso file used to burn an exact copy of the original DVD+/- R [or CD-R] disc [NOT the RW discs]. Many of he couple hundred versions of Linux can run hardware from the disc without having to install anything/drivers.

Reaction score
Hi lpcrierie,

have you tried: System Settings > Updates & Security > Troubleshoot > Playing Audio?: ;)

troubleshoot.JPG

Reaction score
One of my diagnostics is to use a Linux LiveDVD and boot to it, see if the hardware works in it. The LiveDVD is a downloaded .iso file used to burn an exact copy of the original DVD+/- R [or CD-R] disc [NOT the RW discs]. Many of he couple hundred versions of Linux can run hardware from the disc without having to install anything/drivers.

Thanks, but I don't have a disc drive in my computer.

Reaction score
Check Services > Settings. I would stop and restart 1. Bluetooth Handsfree Service, and 2. Bluetooth Support Services.

Ask a Question