Preventing auto-launch

Reaction score
There is a scanner program that I want to be able to use sometimes, so I have installed it, but I do not want it launching with Windows. No StartUp option that I know off (Preferences, Task Manager StartUp; Users StartUp folder etc) , allows me to avoid it. So I am looking for advice on how to prevent it from auto-launching - I suspect I may have to tweak the Registry - but how ?

Reaction score
set the default to what you want and only select "VueScan" when you want. notice it is not shown.
also check Startup apps. Nothing will run at Startup unless you select or have set to Default. the more junk you have autostart the slower your startup is....
1577475529754.png
1577475604203.png

Reaction score
My StartUp is ANOTHER category alongside Default Apps. The 'offending' scanner is not listed amongst them.

"only select "VueScan" when you want. notice it is not shown." ? ?? ???
If it is not shown, how can I ever (de)(select it ?

Reaction score
it is auto Added to the menu when installed
1577504739189.png

then open menu and pin to the Start
1577504837794.png
1577504890880.png

or you can uninstall it.
1577505025087.png

you might also open Task Manager and select then Disable. it will not start or run unless you manually select Open/Run/Start
1577505201833.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually the scanner is SpyHunter - I had not heard of Veuscan..

I am not getting email notification of posts here, and can find no way to trigger them.

None of 5 ways of accessing StartUps show SpyHunter.

Reaction score
you are talking about a totally different scanner. SpyHunter is not the same as VueScan which is a Not a Malware/AV scanner. and still any program you install is located in the Menu. it also places a icon on your desktop.
1577545941219.png

Reaction score
Spyhunter MAY have put a shortcut on the desktop - I would have moved it from there to the place where I keep scanner shortcuts. The issue is that SpyHunter lodges an icon in the systray, and so presumably starts with Windows. THAT is what I want to stop, but I can not find it listed in any of the StartUp locations I know about [including CCleaner, Glary Utilities and WinPatrol), so can not disable its autolaunch. I have found it in Recents like you show above, but its Context Menu does not offer disablement.

Reaction score
The Icon is just that a icon. it is pinned for you - to make it easy to locate and START.... don't want it on the taskbar , right click and unpin.

Reaction score
It is NOT on the Taskbar - it is in the Notification area - which implies that it runs at StartUp - THAT is what I dont want.

Reaction score
can you post a pic of that since i do use and have never had what you are saying, yes i believe you but i can not duplicate your complaint.
and there are several ways to KILL any program from running at startup. and just because it shows in "Notification" is not sign it is Running,
also if it shows then turn off the notification.
1577631947681.png

Reaction score
" just because it shows in "Notification" is not sign it is Running"
That really surprises me. But if SpyHunmter is not actually running, then I am less concerned; but have a redoubled reason for wanting the icon gone from the systray.

As for turning off notifications - unless it is specifically for SpyHunter, I do not want to implement it.

Attachments

• Systray.JPG
    Systray.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 189
Reaction score
Download Autoruns.

Unzip the files, find "autoruns.exe", right-click and select "Run as admininstrator". When the program starts, look for a line with "SpyHunter". If you find one, uncheck the box at the left of the line and restart the computer. Please be advised that preventing autostart may interfere with the program's ability to function correctly.

Ben

Reaction score
I did find a SpyHunter entry in Autoruns - and disabling it did not remove the icon from the systray. There were four other entries mentioning EnigmaSoft. I have not (yet) experimented with disabling them.

Reaction score
I have restarted the computer many times.

I have also found SpyHunter entries in Glary Utilities - I can detail where if you want me to, but disabling them there is ineffective.

Reaction score
Have you tried msconfig -- start up and disable, if not there then try services and disable... funny to me since I does not auto start for me, and I can unpin the taskbar.

Reaction score
Yes, I had tried the msconfig - which in my version of Win10 refers me to StarUps in Task Manager. I have disabled the services, and that resulted in a warning about dysfunctionality rather than preventing auto launch. Unpinning the Taskbar is not the issue - it's preventing Autolaunch whose evidence I take to be the icon in the systray. Experienced people have advised me to cut my losses and just uninstal it.
Eventually i reluctantly did THAT. Now the icon is gone from the systray.

Reaction score
Just because the icon is on the taskbar does not mean it is running...
1578006177347.png

notice the 3 icons with blue line under = yes they are running. no blue line = NOT RUNNING

Reaction score
You are still focusing on the TaskBar, which is NOT my issue; my offending icon occurs in the Systray/Notification area. I have already uninstalled SpyHunter, so for me it has become a insignificant.

Ask a Question