Preventing Internet Connection

Reaction score
Does the method of blocking internet access (but allowing intranet access) on a PC by changing the IpV4 protocol properties to a static IP equalling the IP address of the PC (in place of the automatic assignment from the DCHP) ALSO prevent Microsoft's (or another vendor) from accessing the machine? The goal here is simple - once I have the installation working as intended - I want to prevent ANY updates of ANY kind from ANY one. Since the computers wont access the internet I wont be concerned with security or software updates. I SIMPLY WANT THESES CLOWN TO LEAVE MY MACHINE ALONE. OR, does this method not prevent access TO THE machine FROM the internet? Ancilliary to that - does Microsoft have some other way to access the machine? I get it - just unplug the network cables -- but I still want intranet access - and I will leave one machine with access for email and uploading to my cloud service.

Reaction score
Depending on your ISP and on your router you could possibly do this by refusing IPV6 from outside, turning off IPV4 internally and using IPV6 internally....which Windows will be happy to do automatically.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
YOu could just disable IPv6 and leave IPv4 default gateway blank when statically assigning the IP Address and Subnet mask.
Turn off the DHCP and DNS client services.
Use a dumb switch to connect the computers, add a second network adapter to the other one and configure that likewise.
That should support an internal LAN with no access to the internet (one subnet), while the primary network adapter in the main computer would still access the internet (different subnet).
Test ping using version 4 IP addresses.

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas . when I have some time I will explore further .. the second NIC is one I hadnt thought of.

Reaction score
I didn't think of the dumb switch! Even though I use one myself. I prefer Trouble's solution.

Ask a Question