Preventing Automatic Updates

Reaction score
as i have limited data availability, i wish to choose when to download updates. how do i do this on windows 10? i have a dell 700 series laptop

Reaction score
pattycake
Choosing when to download and update them will not save you data.
I don't know what kind of data plan you have; but updates, especially windows 10 are very important security features. I wouldn't disable them.

Reaction score
I use a program called wushowhide. It works well. Put that into your favorite search engine and you can find it. Good luck.

Reaction score
I use a program called wushowhide. It works well. Put that into your favorite search engine and you can find it. Good luck.
That only blocks certain updates, but doesn't prevent them from auto downloading.

as i have limited data availability, i wish to choose when to download updates. how do i do this on windows 10? i have a dell 700 series laptop
Check out this thread. https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-disable-windows-10-automatic-updates.8072/

Reaction score
pattycake Do you have the ability to use Wi-Fi? A modem capable of wireless may be a worthy investment. You can also purchase USB Wi-Fi adapters for your PC if it doesn't have a wireless card installed.

Reaction score
Choosing when to download and update them will not save you data.
It might if you had the ability to choose which connection actually does the downloading. Just because the main connection is limited, doesn't mean there would never be a connection that isn't limited.

Reaction score
There are a few ways. Number 1: Go to control panel, settings, network & internet, advanced options and enable set as metered connection. This should work for wi-fi.
If this doesn't work, right-click start, click control panel, system and security, click administrative tools, double-click services, scroll down to windows update, click it and then click stop the service in the top left. This should stop it from downloading any windows update and you will need to turn it back on before any update will be done. Hope this helps :)

Ask a Question