How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates

Reaction score
Microsoft has made it mandatory for Windows 10 users to update their computers. From what I understand, they have set the new operating system to automatically receive new updates by default. I also heard from a colleague that Microsoft recently released a tool that can be used to hide or disable Windows 10 updates selectively. Does anyone have any information on the tool and where I can find it?

Reaction score
There's unofficial ways to do it if you have Windows 10 pro. There's plenty of websites that document it. You only need access to the local group policy editor (which you don't have access to in the home version). You'll have to google it.

Reaction score
Here you go.;)

NOTE:
Windows 10 Home edition doesn't contain Group Policy Editor. If you are using Home edition, check out METHOD 2. Other edition users can follow METHOD 1.

1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

3. In right-side pane, look for "Configure Automatic Updates" option.

Configure_Automatic_Updates_Options.png

4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it and set it to Enabled.

Now select any of the given options according to your requirements:

• 2 - Notify for download and notify for install
  • 3 - Auto download and notify for install
  • 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
  • 5 - Allow local admin to choose setting
Allow_Windows_Update_Settings_Customization.png

PS: Select the last option "5 - Allow local admin to choose setting" to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

That's it. Apply changes and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

NOTE for Windows 10 Users:

After applying changes in Group Policy Editor, open Windows Update page in Settings app. Now click on "Check for updates" button to force Windows 10 to apply your changes. After that open Windows Update advanced options and you'll see the new settings have been applied successfully.

Further Read: Fixing Windows 10 Automatic Updates Install Problem

METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

If you can't use or don't want to use Group Policy Editor, you can take help of Registry Editor for the same task. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as WindowsUpdate

4. Create another new key under WindowsUpdate key and set its name as AU

So the final key path would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

5. Now select AU key and in right-side pane create a new DWORD AUOptions and set its value to any of following according to your requirements:

• 2 (To notify for download and notify for install)
  • 3 (To auto download and notify for install)
  • 4 (To auto download and schedule the install)
  • 5 (To allow local admin to choose setting)
Remove_Restrictions_Windows_Update_Settings.png

PS: Set the value of AUOptions to 5 to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

NOTE: If you are using 64-bit edition of Windows, you'll also need to follow steps 3-5 for following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

6. Close Registry Editor and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

PS: If you are not familiar with Registry editing tasks, we are also providing ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically. Download following ZIP file, extract it and run .REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. Restart your computer and Windows will always notify you before downloading new updates:

Registry Script to Force Windows to Notify Before Downloading Updates

After applying changes in Registry Editor, restart your computer. After reboot, open Windows Update page in Settings app. Now click on "Check for updates" button to force Windows 10 to apply your changes. After that open Windows Update advanced options and you'll see the new settings have been applied successfully.

Reaction score
I didn't know about the reg hack for the home version. My tablet thanks you!!!! :)

Reaction score
Here you go.;)

NOTE:
Windows 10 Home edition doesn't contain Group Policy Editor. If you are using Home edition, check out METHOD 2. Other edition users can follow METHOD 1.

1. Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.

2. Now go to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

3. In right-side pane, look for "Configure Automatic Updates" option.

Configure_Automatic_Updates_Options.png

4. The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it and set it to Enabled.

Now select any of the given options according to your requirements:

• 2 - Notify for download and notify for install
  • 3 - Auto download and notify for install
  • 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
  • 5 - Allow local admin to choose setting
Allow_Windows_Update_Settings_Customization.png

PS: Select the last option "5 - Allow local admin to choose setting" to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

That's it. Apply changes and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

After applying changes in Group Policy Editor, open Windows Update page in Settings app. Now click on "Check for updates" button to force Windows 10 to apply your changes. After that open Windows Update advanced options and you'll see the new settings have been applied successfully.

Further Read: Fixing Windows 10 Automatic Updates Install Problem

METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

If you can't use or don't want to use Group Policy Editor, you can take help of Registry Editor for the same task. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

3. Create a new key under Windows key and set its name as WindowsUpdate

4. Create another new key under WindowsUpdate key and set its name as AU

So the final key path would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

5. Now select AU key and in right-side pane create a new DWORD AUOptions and set its value to any of following according to your requirements:

• 2 (To notify for download and notify for install)
  • 3 (To auto download and notify for install)
  • 4 (To auto download and schedule the install)
  • 5 (To allow local admin to choose setting)
Remove_Restrictions_Windows_Update_Settings.png

PS: Set the value of AUOptions to 5 to be able to choose options in drop-down box on Windows Update settings page.

NOTE: If you are using 64-bit edition of Windows, you'll also need to follow steps 3-5 for following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

6. Close Registry Editor and open Windows Update settings page. Now you'll be able to change desired settings.

PS: If you are not familiar with Registry editing tasks, we are also providing ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically. Download following ZIP file, extract it and run .REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. Restart your computer and Windows will always notify you before downloading new updates:

Registry Script to Force Windows to Notify Before Downloading Updates

After applying changes in Registry Editor, restart your computer. After reboot, open Windows Update page in Settings app. Now click on "Check for updates" button to force Windows 10 to apply your changes. After that open Windows Update advanced options and you'll see the new settings have been applied successfully.

I followed this meticulously and I noted 2 things:

After making the first registry change, I went to do the second one as I am on a 64 bit system, and I found the identical key was already there for a 64 bit system. Magic? Sorcery?

I rebooted, updated, and I still didn't get the new options. What I did get in advanced options was text in red saying 'some settings are managed by your organisation'. That's odd cos this is and always has been a personal PC, with no accounts on it except the built in admin one that I use.
What I also noted that my usual 10 second or so boot time was increased now to about a minute.

So I went back into regedit and changed the Dword value 5 to a decimal instead of a hexadecimal value, hexa being the default. I rebooted again, updated. then tried advanced options and there was still no change.
I've now deleted the new keys and have gone back to disabling Windows Update service, which works on my system.

Last edited:

Ask a Question