SOLVED Trying to disable windows defender permantley

Reaction score
I am on windows home edition. I am trying to disable Windows defender, as I am on a laptop and I want nothing contributing to slowing it down.

I can not use gpedit.msc because I am not on the pro edition. I have tried that regedit and that dident work.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Brightwater,

With the advent of the Windows Defender Security Center things have got a little trickier when it comes to disabling Windows Defender. Here are the steps that ought to guarantee you some success:
  • Right-click on taskbar and select Task Manager
  • In the Task Manager window, select the Startup tab
  • Right-click on Windows Defender notification icon and select Disable
Sample image

sample.png
  • Close the Task Manager window
  • Next press your Windows key + S key together to give focus to your Search/Cortana field
  • In the Search/Cortana field type command
  • Now in the search results right-click on Command Prompt & select Run as administrator
  • A User Account Control will prompt you. Click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following command:
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableAntiSpyware /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Press Enter key to execute

Now type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Sample image

sample2.png

Type exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console.​
  • Close any other open applications.
  • Right-click on Start and select Shut down or sign out > Restart
Once your computer has restarted, the Windows Defender will be disabled, and also the Windows Defender Security Center Service will be stopped and disabled.

That will leave your computer vulnerable to malware/virus threats so I'd recommend installing a third party security option if you are determined not to use Windows Defender or Windows Defender Security Center.

Note also: Upon restarting computer, if you attempt to now open Windows Defender Security Center, the app will open to a blue screen, then after a few seconds will close again. As you have disabled the Windows Defender notification icon too, you will not receive any alerts via the Notification in your system tray to warn you, that you have no protection.

To reverse the changes made above do the following:
  • Press your Windows key + S key together to give focus to your Search/Cortana field
  • In the Search/Cortana field type command
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt & select Run as administrator
  • The User Account Control will prompt you. Click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following command:
Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableAntiSpyware /f

Now type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

Type exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console
  • Next, right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager
  • In the Task Manager window select the Startup tab
  • Right-click on Windows Defender notification icon and select Enable
  • Close the Task Manager window
  • Close any other open applications
  • Right-click on Start and select Shut down or sign out > Restart
Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
You're welcome.

I've edited my post with some more details on what will happen, and how to reverse these changes should you choose to.

Reaction score
Do you have a different Antivirus Software running or none at all??
I cannot say that Windows Defender slows my computer down whatsoever and my computers have already several years on their back (minimum 8 years).

Reaction score
I can also confer with @Grizzly as I recently (just for fun) tried Avira AV (Free), boot-up took 3 times as long and system resources were at a premium, I removed it (took forever to remove all the bits & pieces) after only 10 mins on my laptop and Windows Defender does not slow my PC down at all!. :)

Ask a Question