SOLVED Windows Defender Disabled By Administrator

Reaction score
My windows defender stops working. It can not update the defini files. error code is 2147416390 service has stopped, and I cant start it again. Solution to get it to work again please;

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
These vague posting dont really help, but here is a guess.
  1. Open the "Local Group Policy Editor." Click "Start," type "Edit Group Policy" and press "Enter."
  2. Expand the group policy folders labelled "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Defender" on the left navigation pane. Double-click the group policy folders to expand them.
  3. Click "Turn off Windows Defender" on the right of the window, then click "Edit Policy Setting" to open the "Turn off Windows Defender" dialog box.
  4. Click the circle next to "Disabled" to enable Windows Defender.
  5. Click "Apply" to save the settings and click "OK" to close the "Turn off Windows Defender" dialog box.
You want to disable or leave as unconfigured to allow Windows Defender to operate normally.

wind.PNG

Reaction score
only thing that worked out for me was a zero setting of my computer with all those software I have payd for removed :)

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
mmm what? You are saying that only removing all paid software fixed this issue for you?

If that includes some 3rd party Antivirus programs that could explain it, some Antivirus only run exclusively and dont like having other antivirus that could interact with their functionality running at same time and thus Microsoft allows them to disable the built in solution.

Was that it?

Reaction score
mmm what? You are saying that only removing all paid software fixed this issue for you?

If that includes some 3rd party Antivirus programs that could explain it, some Antivirus only run exclusively and dont like having other antivirus that could interact with their functionality running at same time and thus Microsoft allows them to disable the built in solution.

Was that it?
The former antivirus soft was totaly removed inclueded using this antivirus soft total removal tool.
I have the same antivirus soft on all my other computers where defender is configured to now and then scanning, and updating the virus files. there are no problem on those computers.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Strange. What antivirus software is this?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Can you check what the status of Windows defender realtime is OFF or ON on the other machines that Have Bitdefender enabled and working OK?

Reaction score
Can you check what the status of Windows defender realtime is OFF or ON on the other machines that Have Bitdefender enabled and working OK?
when I installed the bitdefender it turned defender off. I then used the defender facility to now and then scan and to update the virus files, and realtime is off, but setup this way defender now and then randomly scans the computer.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Try to reinstall Bitdefender on that machine and fully update it, maybe that will cure it.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Yes, you said you uninstalled Bitdefender, I thought you wanted same setup.

OK never mid, have a nice day.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If another Security program was installed, then it is likely that two values were changed under the Registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender

The two values being: DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntiVirus both of which are DWORD (32-bit) values.

If their Data value is set to 1 then Windows Defender and/or Windows Defender Security Center will not function correctly. You'd need to modify the DWORD (32-bit) values and change the Data value to 0 in order to get either Windows Defender or Windows Defender Security Center working again.

Note: You could also disable the third party security program via the Security and Maintenance window, which ought to reset the Data values of the aforementioned Registry path.

Reaction score
If another Security program was installed, then it is likely that two values were changed under the Registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender

The two values being: DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntiVirus both of which are DWORD (32-bit) values.

If their Data value is set to 1 then Windows Defender and/or Windows Defender Security Center will not function correctly. You'd need to modify the DWORD (32-bit) values and change the Data value to 0 in order to get either Windows Defender or Windows Defender Security Center working again.

Note: You could also disable the third party security program via the Security and Maintenance window, which ought to reset the Data values of the aforementioned Registry path.
I have no problems on my other computers running bitdefender in realtime and setting windows defender to scan now and then. defender is of course disabled in real time.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
If you want, free antivirus serious antivirus solution that has no issues running side by side with any other antivirus real time or not see http://www.immunet.com/ this is based on clamav http://www.clamav.net/download.html#otherversions and click Windows Antivirus.

Theres no firewall with that, but there are firewalls out there that also work well with windows firewall, also enabled, and also free. for e.g http://www.evorim.com/en/free-firewall
That firewall buttons/enablers though work the opposite of what we are used to but you soon get the hang of it.

Essentially 2 antivirus and 2 firewalls all active all the time for the incredible price of nothing. Though its good to donate if you like and use it regularly.

Ask a Question